Question for Montessori homeschoolers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS1 finished the K curriculum in his M class last year and is more than ready for elementary level math (he even worked ahead a bit into the lower elementary materials). He's not continuing for elementary for financial reasons, but I'm wondering if maybe it would be possible for me to homeschool him in Montessori math to supplement what he's learning in public school? But I have no idea how to go about doing that... Can anyone recommend a source for M materials on a low budget? Is there some kind of book I could get that would walk me through the lower elementary math lessons? DS really enjoys working with numbers and I'd love to encourage his interest as long as possible.

TIA!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 AM

This might help.

And http://www.infomontessori.com/mathem...troduction.htm has explanations of the hows and whys of most things Montessori.
#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 AM

There are a lot of Montessori at home type blogs out there now that might be able to help you on your journey. Here's just one example: http://www.montessoricandy.com

You can even buy albums with the lessons and check out some videos on YouTube. Good luck! There is so much more out there now than when I was starting!

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#4 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 PM

Math-u-See is pretty attainable and is loosely based on Montessori from what I gather.

I agree that there are a lot of Montessori blogs out there. You can also purchase just the math album if you want. As for materials, there are a lot of places out there that sell things that are a lot cheaper than what schools use--Montessori Outlet, Montessori Services, Alison's Montessori, etc. However, most of the math work can be made if you have anyone crafty or good at wood working & bead working at home.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone! I just bought a stamp game, a bead frame, and a multiplication bead board for DS. That infomontessori.com website is wonderful-- I finally understand some of the materials I always see in the classroom! I think DS is going to be really excited to continue with Montessori at home!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page