Montessori meets Iphone/Ipad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this great article on the blog Montessori for Everyone http://www.blog.montessoriforeveryon...he-iphone.html which included an interview with the developers of the "Montessorium" apps. I think I will definitely buy the apps which are 4.99 a pop but was wondering if anyone here might have tried these or others -I know there are at least 2 more companies that are putting out Montessori apps, they're listed on the blog but the blog owner didn't offer any info about them.

Anyone have any experience w/ these apps? Worth the download time and the 4.99?
#2 of 21 Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM

We have them, and we love them!! We also have a few other Montessori apps, but none are as great as the Montessorium two.

I'm really quite thoroughly impressed with them actually. Provided you are okay with screen time for the kids, they are fantastic. Very aesthetically pleasing, and no "gimmicks" or rewards. I can't wait for the "alpha writer" (moveable alphabet). I also hope they do a bells one in the future.
#3 of 21 Old 10-28-2010, 01:26 AM

It bothers me that they call them Montessori though.
#4 of 21 Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback b_light, I was waiting to hear if Montessori parents had positive experience with it before I bothered with the download.

Matt, since they are based on traditional montessori materials, why does that bother you? Is it that you don't feel montessori and electronic go together?
#5 of 21 Old 10-29-2010, 12:48 AM

Carrying an iPod around doesn't quite give you the same feel of size difference between 10 cm and 1 meter as carrying the red/blue rods one at a time.
#6 of 21 Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 AM

I think the programs are engaging and well done, but they cannot be used as substitutes to the real thing...but they surely can be used to reinforce the concepts the kids are using in their classes.

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#7 of 21 Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 AM

Reinforcing a narrow goal of the materials can be done in many ways. It doesn't make any of those ways "Montessori."

Not saying they are bad applications. Just that they are not Montessori any more than worksheets or the old Math Man games were.
#8 of 21 Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 AM

If they can create the same sort of texture difference in their sandpaper app, would that be significantly different for working with individual sandpaper letters?

And the classification cards would definitely work electronically (well, at least the three period lesson to present the cards). As would activities where the child is to the point of using a pencil to write letters, could totally write a story and illustrate it with a simple drawing on an iPad.

The red bars, no. Ditto insets, brown stair, pink tower, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Hmmm, not sure on the sound canisters. On the one hand you wouldn't get the feedback of how the container feels when the various contents are shaken, but then again it would isolate the sense of sound to a greater extent to not have that tactile feedback.

Y'know, I think that actual Montessori work could be done electronically. The problem is that they're going to be developing apps based on what they can do rather than what they can do and also retain all the features that give the work value.

ETA:
Oooo, some of the map work would transfer to electronics quite nicely.
#9 of 21 Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
If they can create the same sort of texture difference in their sandpaper app, would that be significantly different for working with individual sandpaper letters?
Do they do that now? Also, does the device change size according to the letter?

Quote:
And the classification cards would definitely work electronically (well, at least the three period lesson to present the cards).
Not with the range of movement.

Quote:
Y'know, I think that actual Montessori work could be done electronically. The problem is that they're going to be developing apps based on what they can do rather than what they can do and also retain all the features that give the work value.
That value IS the point, though.

Quote:
ETA:
Oooo, some of the map work would transfer to electronics quite nicely.
How are you going to implement the knobs used on the maps?
#10 of 21 Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBronsil View Post
Do they do that now? Also, does the device change size according to the letter?

Not with the range of movement.

That value IS the point, though.

How are you going to implement the knobs used on the maps?
1. Sandpaper letters boards are supposed to be different sizes? All the sets I saw when I was trying to figure out how to make them had all the single letters on 5"x5" boards and the double letters on 5"x7". (Hmm apparently it's lucky that I'm having to start over with mine thanks to problems with adhesion. )

And no, I have no idea if they actually do have the ability to make a sandpaper texture, but in the article they claimed they did.

2. I was thinking in terms of a picture of one card being on the device and the device itself being the card, just for the first period lesson where you're introducing the vocabulary for the card. (If for some reason one had to do a Montessori lesson in an environment where bringing all the cards along would be an issue, yes, it would be of limited utility.)

Obviously, it wouldn't work for the actual classification work, for the second period, or third period and you'd have to use the same pictures that are on the actual classification card set.

3. I know that that value is the point, that's why I thought it was a problem that the apps were going to be developed with regard for programming ability instead of consideration for whether programing can duplicate all the qualities of the materials.

4. The outline maps have knobs?

Mind you, I'm not going to be buying a Montessori app any time soon. I'm just having fun theorizing about what, if any, Montessori materials could be duplicated electronically without loss of educational merit. Regardless of whether it would be in any way practical to do so.

Oh! And what are your thoughts on the sound cylinders? Hang on, bother, already got the electronic problem with them--no way to pair them up.
#11 of 21 Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
1. Sandpaper letters boards are supposed to be different sizes? All the sets I saw when I was trying to figure out how to make them had all the single letters on 5"x5" boards and the double letters on 5"x7". (Hmm apparently it's lucky that I'm having to start over with mine thanks to problems with adhesion. )
The smaller consonants are on the smallest pink boards. (r, c, n, etc.)
The m and w are on wider boards, same height as the ones above.
Vowels are on blue boards, a little larger than the smaller pink ones.
The rest of the letters are on taller pink boards.

Quote:
And no, I have no idea if they actually do have the ability to make a sandpaper texture, but in the article they claimed they did.
It doesn't, but the article says she would be asking about it.

Quote:
2. I was thinking in terms of a picture of one card being on the device and the device itself being the card, just for the first period lesson where you're introducing the vocabulary for the card. (If for some reason one had to do a Montessori lesson in an environment where bringing all the cards along would be an issue, yes, it would be of limited utility.)

Obviously, it wouldn't work for the actual classification work, for the second period, or third period and you'd have to use the same pictures that are on the actual classification card set.
Still an issue with movement. Movement comes from moving the cards around and placing them around.

Quote:

Mind you, I'm not going to be buying a Montessori app any time soon. I'm just having fun theorizing about what, if any, Montessori materials could be duplicated electronically without loss of educational merit. Regardless of whether it would be in any way practical to do so.
Like I said, I think they're fine applications. Certainly better than many out there. I just think we have to realize the limitations ARE going to make them non-Montessori. We can't get the finer details that are so important and make so much difference. I wouldn't call put them in the same category of Montessori then.

Quote:
Oh! And what are your thoughts on the sound cylinders? Hang on, bother, already got the electronic problem with them--no way to pair them up.
hehe. I can just see the sales person at the iStore. "If you buy 2 iPhones, you can use the sound cylinder application." :-D
#12 of 21 Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
hehe. I can just see the sales person at the iStore. "If you buy 2 iPhones, you can use the sound cylinder application." :-D
And then the online reviews: "sales person told me I would only need 2 iPhones for sound cylinder app. I had to buy TEN!!"
#13 of 21 Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
And then the online reviews: "sales person told me I would only need 2 iPhones for sound cylinder app. I had to buy TEN!!"
Hah! Point taken. 5 blue and 5 red.
#14 of 21 Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Hah! Point taken. 5 blue and 5 red.
If it resulted in an excuse to own 10 iP*s, I know a number of people who'd still be tempted by the app.

soda cans as sound cylinders! Dd always wants to play with soda cans although she calls them "daddy drinks"

back on topic it wouldn't be a montessori work, but using gps to follow along with the car on trips would be a nifty educational iP* activity
#15 of 21 Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The smaller consonants are on the smallest pink boards. (r, c, n, etc.)
The m and w are on wider boards, same height as the ones above.
Vowels are on blue boards, a little larger than the smaller pink ones.
The rest of the letters are on taller pink boards.

It doesn't, but the article says she would be asking about it.

Still an issue with movement. Movement comes from moving the cards around and placing them around.

Like I said, I think they're fine applications. Certainly better than many out there. I just think we have to realize the limitations ARE going to make them non-Montessori. We can't get the finer details that are so important and make so much difference. I wouldn't call put them in the same category of Montessori then.

Ok completely understand what you mean now. I guess they're more like learning tools based on/inspired by Montessori rather than Montessori apps.

While on the subject tho, what do think, how do you feel about the assertion that Montessori has to evolve?
Quote:
Third, if Maria Montessori were alive today, we think that she would be at the Apple store, playing with an iPad, thinking hard about these complicated issues. She would be writing Steve Jobs letters, asking for advice. “What is this new gyroscope feature?” “Can we really duplicate the feel of sandpaper letters?” “Is it possible to create a positive feedback system?” In our opinion, Maria Montessori would be trying to open up and discover new ways to think about how we learn.
I know the idea is to give children the least exposure to media; but, is that still feasible or conducive in today's world?
#16 of 21 Old 11-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens_mum View Post
Ok completely understand what you mean now. I guess they're more like learning tools based on/inspired by Montessori rather than Montessori apps.

While on the subject tho, what do think, how do you feel about the assertion that Montessori has to evolve?
I'm not the first person to say Montessori has to evolve. I believe Montessori said that. The question comes about what IS Montessori and what is NOT.

I am a ventriloquist. I am not against bringing my talking dog puppet into the classroom. I know MANY Montessori teachers that would disagree with this.

If we look at what the goals are for, say, the red rods, we see they are (and this is oFf memory, not looking):
--understand longest to shortest
--understand a sense of order
--understand repect for the materials
--understand longesat to shortest based upon a physical representation of the material
--understand care of taking the material to the rug

What can they get from an IPhone app? Not much.

The point is missed.
COMPLETELY

Montessori has to evolve. I do NOT see this as evolution, but as a step backwards if taken as seriously a step forward.
I know the idea is to give children the least exposure to media; but, is that still feasible or conducive in today's world?[/QUOTE]
#17 of 21 Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM

It could be worse. Oh, wait. It is. Matt, Lilliana, be sure to be sitting down, nothing breakable in your hands, and maybe have someone else ready to close the video just in case.

And then this one will take the hurting away.Look at how she realizes things are out of order and corrects the tower all on her own! (Not too hot on the "good job" by mom, but at least she wasn't directing her dd's actions.

(The "sports day" one, OMG. A freaking RACE? with assembling the pink tower as an obstacle???)

(And good thing I've ordered a pink tower because that second video dd wanted to watch 3 times and asked about "blocks?" "blocks?")
#18 of 21 Old 11-01-2010, 03:51 PM

Oh dear me, are you kidding me? What were those people thinking? A video on building the pink tower? It made me laugh.

I believe that you can reinforce concepts through computer games, electronic or otherwise but our first interaction is always with hands on, real materials.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#19 of 21 Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 AM

I've seen, and cried, at that pink tower cartoon before. Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
#20 of 21 Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not the first person to say Montessori has to evolve. I believe Montessori said that. The question comes about what IS Montessori and what is NOT.

I am a ventriloquist. I am not against bringing my talking dog puppet into the classroom. I know MANY Montessori teachers that would disagree with this.

If we look at what the goals are for, say, the red rods, we see they are (and this is oFf memory, not looking):
--understand longest to shortest
--understand a sense of order
--understand repect for the materials
--understand longesat to shortest based upon a physical representation of the material
--understand care of taking the material to the rug

What can they get from an IPhone app? Not much.

The point is missed.
COMPLETELY

Montessori has to evolve. I do NOT see this as evolution, but as a step backwards if taken as seriously a step forward.
I know the idea is to give children the least exposure to media; but, is that still feasible or conducive in today's world?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Matt. You make perfect sense and once I think about it, I agree. I'm new to Montessori and excited about how well it fits with what I believe and how well I believe it will nurture the incredible creature that is my dd Its easy to get excited and off course tho.
#21 of 21 Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Not sure if this would fit into Montessori resources but thought I'd share. shy.gif We have a contest running right now (only two days left to enter!) that asks for a simple entry. The three prizes are Farfaria Gift Subscriptions. You check it out here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1374000/ thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page