Montessori for 11 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What should a typical day of work/play look like for my almost 11 month old? Can anyone suggest books for her? She loves to "read" and be read to, explore, has mastered her object permance box, Plan Toys punch & drop- she seems a bit bored of these. She is interested in dismantling stacks of blocks, taking socks out of boxes and putting them back, tossing clothing from laundry these days. I'm not sure if I have too many toys on display or the most appropriate ones and if the books we are reading are too fantasy based. For now we are just winging it and letting her work on whatever draws her in- but I suppose my little concern is that we may be missing out on important learning opportunities. Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated!
#2 of 3 Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM

My favorite book for kids this age is How to Raise An Amazing Child, the Montessori Way. :)

I'm not sure what a *typical* day should look like, but at that age, we did a lot of exploring different textures (either by giving her a small bowl of cookie dough when I was making cookies, or making a little water tray, or sensory bins, or giving her a bunch of different textured fabrics to explore, etc.)  We did a lot of exploring are mediums--crayons, edible finger paint, etc.

At that age, the treasure box is awesome...a basket of random (non-choking hazard) objects where all of her senses can be used.  So a box might have some sachels of herbs, various colors and textures of cloth, some shiny objects, larger rocks & pinecones, jars of beans and rice that she can shake, some "real" tools (wooden spoons, etc.), large craft feathers, etc. 

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 3 Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 AM

Same here with an almost 11 month old. She loves laundry too!

Furniture seems to be her playground lately. In the last couple weeks she has been pulling up and walking around everything. This is very new to us because she was a late crawler. We put our bedroom mattress on the floor and she walks around it and tries to get up on the bed but she's not there just yet. Then we put a bunch of pillows in a pile and she crawls over it. I lined all of our low furniture with that foam padding and she pulls up on it and it gives her an excellent grip. We also have a big mirrored closet door that we play in front of. Also just this evening she started pushing around a giant exercise ball that we've had around since birth to soothe and bounce her on. It is hysterical how she chases it and crawls VERY fast now. Oh and sometimes i rearrange her table and our coffee table so they all line up and she can walk around the room without letting anything go. That has been fun.

Sometimes when i'm out of tricks I teach her words. I point to a ball and say ball. She usually says BUH and laughs really hard. We can go back and forth like this for at least 20 minutes. The trick is to wait long enough for her to respond. Timing is critical. She is all about the B words this week.

Also it is a bit risky because it can be a choking hazard but I've been giving her the occasional ice cube and watching her like a hawk. She just pushed them around on her the table for about 20 minutes. Then in the bath I'll put one on the edge of the bath and let her play with it and watch it melt. Be very careful though because they can choke on it.

She is just now learning how to pull up and sit in this:

http://www.lordequip.com/shopping/product_info.php?cPath=30_22&products_id=377

I just found this place and have been ordering toys from. Our daughter loves these: http://www.montessorioutlet.com/cgi-bin/item/510100100/5101/Montessori-Outlet-Single-Shape-Puzzles-%28I-005-1%29 but i do not recommend the cubes on a vertical dowel at this age in case of a fall.

We also pick up and organize her toys. I try to remove some when new ones are introduced but my husband keeps pulling them out. We just ordered that book mentioned in the last thread above because we are dying for new activities.

Her favorite book is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312490836/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0789427834&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0X91MFRJGASTECE9CAKA we read it over and over to her and point at the pictures. About a week ago she began reading it to us, pointing at each of the photos and saying "Deee" it was amazing, just amazing.

But when all else fails we rely on the park, the grocery store and a nearby pet store for stimulation.

I am in the same boat of concern for missing out on learning opportunities. She has been getting bored and impatient lately and just yelling out. Mainly at the end of the day. My husband then puts her on an annoying toy car that was given to us and pushes her around ... but what we really need to get is one of those walker wagons because I want her to have the satisfaction of doing it herself. So i just ordered this: http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=11292

I am also trying now to involve her in more of what we are doing. I need to give her a her own cabinet in the kitchen soon to pull out containers and lids. That should be fun but for now she is still really wobbly and I am not ready to have her on the kitchen floor.

But I, too, would appreciate more ideas.

:)

SAHM to DD born 12/09 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page