Is Montessori worth moving house for? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hard question I know. DD just got in. She'll be 3.8 when in Fall. The school is for pre-school through highschool. It's 40 minutes from our house!

Option 2: The very small  public school (there are 2 other 2008's), which is up to age 11,  is a just short walk through the woods. After age 11 we have to drive them somewhere anyway.

Option 3: We have them on line for another private school that starts at age 6, a 15 minute drive from our  house. It is new, popular, has headheaded teachers with Master degrees. The day is traditionally structured but with very imaginative lesson plans, individually planned "reading bags", lots of "using nature and the world around as a classroom" as opposed to "materials" and although not "bi-lingual", there a big emphasis on English mastery.

We love our house and it affords me the ability to stay home 50%. We want the right education for our children, and wonder is we need to move to be closer to which ever school we choose. We live in a small village which is ideal except for the few friends for the kids to choose from and unfortunately large road to cross to get to anybody. Sigh.

Any thoughts are welcome. TIA!   

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM

We recently moved and specifically chose an apt halfway between work and DD's school so that definitely play a large role in where we lived (that being said it worked well for us because we love the neighborhood and we know they're building a train station here in the near future). 

So here are my questions:

- Do you own your home?  Have you talked about moving before?  How far is this school from your DH's work? Is it a good neighborhood?  What are housing prices there?

- The fact that the Montessori school is preschool through high school sounds wonderful but what is the school like besides that?  Could you try the school out for a year (while commuting) to make sure you like it first before you make a move? 

- What's your gut feeling about your school choices?  I see you live in Sweden so I'm assuming your public schools vary from the typical American school...

If I were in your situation I'd probably send your DD to the preschool while commuting to see if it's real worth the move.  It sounds like the other two schools would only happen in a couple of years since your DD is not even 4 yet so you still have time.  Then if you feel it's worth it and you find a nice house that you like there, why not? 

Personally, I think a good school is worth it BUT you need to determine that it's a good school first and you have to factor in other parts of your family's life to make sure too.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post

So here are my questions:

- Do you own your home?  Have you talked about moving before?  How far is this school from your DH's work? Is it a good neighborhood?  What are housing prices there?

- The fact that the Montessori school is preschool through high school sounds wonderful but what is the school like besides that?  Could you try the school out for a year (while commuting) to make sure you like it first before you make a move? 

- What's your gut feeling about your school choices?  I see you live in Sweden so I'm assuming your public schools vary from the typical American school...

We'll own our home in 2 years and yes we considered moving to the neighborhood where the Montessori is only last month but the house (actually the wing of the of a1920's hospital) would have cost too much heat and renovate. We fell in love with the neighborhood (the whole area is a culture/historic preservation site, an island that was a mental institution in the 20's...yes, like Shutter Island but with a bridge).  We currently live 15 minutes from the job DH will start in August. The school is 40 minutes in the wrong direction. The neighborhood is great, close to a small city, but on the water, near forest and farms, lots of biking possiblities and families. Right around the school (the old hospital area) is a little expensive and hard to get. We could buy property 1.3 km (0.8 miles) from the school and build a house. Then we will NOT own our home in two years...but can afford the mortgage. DH will be 1 hour from work (but in the countryside so no traffic...he doesn't mind).  

We are very impressed with the school. It seems wonderful, esp the JHS and HS! I could drive her back and forth but it may be "unfun", esp for little brother who won't start until Fall 2012. DD is in the local nursery school 15 hours a week and happy. I'm afraid the commute may taint the experience...

Gut feeling

- local school can't provide what she needs in the long run but OK for now.

-15 minute away school is probably a good choice...everyone is raving...we could stay in this house...but they will be a drive from all friends...

-Montessori appeals to us...and so does the neighborhood, but a move is of course a little daunting. You know what you have right?! But we do think it important for kids to be able to bicycle to friends' houses so as I said we probably need to move no matter what.

Thanks for your thoughts!

and 2 rescued greyhounds
Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Ok, you really had me laughing ROTFLMAO.gifabout shutter island! I have all sorts of pictures in my mind about what sort of Montessori school that is (and I'm sure none of them are true! winky.gif). 

Personally, I think building your own house sounds like fun and it sounds like a wonderful community.  As for your DH... 1 hour vs. 15 min could certainly take a toll on him but if he's ok with it then that's also something to consider. Is it possible for him to telecommute ever to cut down on his total driving time for the week? 

If you did move, do you think your newly built house would have a good resell value?  Would it be OK for your family financially to have a longer mortgage?  So it sounds like if you lived their your kids could eventually bike to school? That's always a plus...

One other thing... have you talked to some of the families at the Montessori school?  What are their impression? 

Honestly, the way you describe the neighborhood is does sound wonderful and I've always wanted to build my own home (probably won't ever happen) but that's just me..

Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yes to all your questions. All news about the school is good. Someone commented that there were a few Spec. Ed. kids. I don't view that as "bad" news.

We're really considering taking the place at the Montessori. I asked about 2012 and they can't gaurantee DD a place then, understandably, but DS will get in and then DD has sibling benefit or whatever u call it in English. So if there's a place for 08 kids, she'll get it. But what if there's NO place then.

We are thinking it may be worth driving the 40 minutes while we get it together to move. We need to tell them tomorrow :-o.

Argh! This is difficult. I'm sure the 15 minute away school could be good too, but it's not till she's 6 (we think she more/different stimulation already...) and who knows if she'll get in there.

Argh again...

and 2 rescued greyhounds

User Tag List