What changes to expect at home for DC just starting Montessori - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had another post about my DD 21 months starting Montessori, yesterday was her first day. I'm trying to make the home more kid friendly and more things accessible to her. I was wondering what changes I can expect to see at home. Even after the first day I noticed she entertained herself more than she ever has. She is a very social child and likes to be the center of attention, so it was very encouraging to see her get out her toys and books and entertain herself after only ONE day - maybe it's a fluke time will tell ;) 

I'd love to hear what changes I might expect to see at home.

#2 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM

DD goes to a full-day preschool and we noticed that now sleep goes much, much more smoothly.  They did have a lot of problems getting her to nap at first there (they were VERY gentle about it but DD is stubborn!) but eventually she saw that all her friends were sleeping too and now is able to fall asleep on her own.  That was, simply put... awesome!

She also shows more of of an interest in helping around the house and her language skills have improved quite a bit.  She also knows a lot of new songs that the other kids at school taught her. 

Oh, and one funny thing! She's obsessed with rolling up everything!  we really are going to have to buy her some white matts that she can put her toys that she's playing with that the time on.  She really loves that. 

#3 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

That's fantastic news physmom! I'd love it if Valyn would help out around the house more, lol! Seriously they must help with some rewiring at the school - last night she handed me the laundry I needed to fold instead of recklessly throwing it on the ground.

How long has your DD been there? Have you done any adjustments to your home to make it more Montessori friendly? I have a small table and chair for her to use in the kitchen, a small coat hanger, a cupboard with cups and bowls (although I need to add to this) and we changed her crib to a toddler bed close to the floor when she was 18 months (she still doesn't realize she can get up out of her bed in the morning ;)

#4 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Owens View Post

That's fantastic news physmom! I'd love it if Valyn would help out around the house more, lol! Seriously they must help with some rewiring at the school - last night she handed me the laundry I needed to fold instead of recklessly throwing it on the ground.

How long has your DD been there? Have you done any adjustments to your home to make it more Montessori friendly? I have a small table and chair for her to use in the kitchen, a small coat hanger, a cupboard with cups and bowls (although I need to add to this) and we changed her crib to a toddler bed close to the floor when she was 18 months (she still doesn't realize she can get up out of her bed in the morning ;)

She's been a few months now.  We've recently moved abroad so we don't have much in our house at the moment.  However, before we moved we had a lot of Montessori-esque stuff at home.  We had the Expedit bookshelves and we would keep a few toys in there and rotate them out.  We also kept one of the cubby holes with snacks and her plates etc.  We also kept her clothes at her level so she could take them out and put on what she wants (or at least practice).  We also had a little potty out so she could use that whenever she wanted.  Oh, and now she does have a floorbed and a little table+chair that she loves to use.  Hopefully once we're more settled we can get more stuff set up.  thumb.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM

Low, open shelves with just a few things on them is best.  You can rotate things out as she gets bored.  Encourage her to clean up when she is finished with an activity but never interrupt her concentration to bring her back to clean something up.  You have to catch her before she becomes engaged in something else.  If she becomes engaged, just quietly clean it up for her to maintain an orderly environment.  

Allow her to drink from an open cup.  Spilling on her shirt is a great control of error.  She will become amazingly coordinated!  Let her feed herself with a fork or spoon as appropriate.  Let her pour her own milk on her cereal from a cup or small pitcher.  She should remain in her chair at the table when she is eating.  

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page