Montessori Erkinder Schools... AND crunchy communities? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All.

We may be relocating to the midwest region (we're currently in NJ) and so I'm starting to do some preliminary scouting for Montessori schools.  Our new location is not at all set; we're pretty flexible, and it may depend on where we can find the best school.

I'd love an Erkinder program, though an elementary (at least thru 8th) would be okay; adolescent (thru 12th grade) would be better; erkinder would be ideal!!

If you live in the Midwest (we could possibly go as far West as Vegas or as far South as Texas): Kansas, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska... please chime in! Do your kids attend Erkinder or another elementary/adolescent Montessori? Are you near by or in a more "crunchy" community?

I'm just in very preliminary research mode here, but kids are so happy currently; we want to make sure any transition is smooth, and for ourselves, we'd very much love to move to a place that reflects more of our natural parenting ideals... so crunchy communities are a plus!  

Thanks so much. <3

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#2 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM

I live in Omaha, NE. My daughter attends The Montessori Childrens Room. It goes from preschool thru sixth grade. There is also a private Montessori middle school/high school called The International School of the Plains. They are not affiliated, but are located right next to each other. I have heard great things about the middle/high school and have spoken to the director and it sounds like a great program.

The Childrens Room has two gardening teachers and a large garden. There is one teacher for younger students and one for elementary. They tag butterflies and study insects and grow vegetables among many other activities. The school also has a natural playground. They teach French at the school starting with the youngest students. They also serve hot lunch three days a week and use all natural and organic ingredients. They offer regular or organic milk as drink choices for lunch. They send home a specific snack list to keep the snacks very healthy. As far as the Montessori philosophy, I think the school follows it very very closely.

I love everything about the school, except the price lol though I am of a lower income.  It runs about $4,000 a year for the lower years and $7,000 for elementary. I definitely feel confident in saying this is the best Montessori school located in our city and honestly probably one of the best anywhere as I honestly cannot imagine anything more this school can do to make it better.

I am probably not the person that can tell you everything about the school.They do have a website, and a phone call would probably be helpful too. PM me if I can answer any questions:)

#3 of 4 Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your feedback! I've never been to Omaha... OR Nebraska! :-D How do you like living there? Is it a kid-friendly city? Do you live in, or outside of the city? Are there green/crunchy communities in the area? Any suburbs or more rural areas not to far from the city that you'd recommend? We'd love a place with a lot of open space, that's not out of reach of the benefits of the city (is this too crazy an idea?!)

Just considering the prices you quoted for the Montessori school (plus, I took at look at the city zoo & children's museum admission prices), I'm guessing the cost of living is lower in this area?  Of course, I'm living in NJ, so everything here is skewed towards outrageous when it comes to cost. I will definitely take a look at those schools!

Ooooo getting excited. I really appreciate your response! haven't gotten any feedback yet on my posts! :)

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#4 of 4 Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM

I love living here. I will say though that I have not been many other places, but I feel it is a very safe city as long as you are in West Omaha, Papillion, Bellevue, or any of the smaller surrounding cities.

I actually live in Papillion, but I really consider it part of Omaha as including all of the small cities here nothing is more than about 30 minutes away. Papillion is a middle class to upper class city with lots of activities, little to no violent crime, and it sort of has a small town feel. I live in the city, but within 5-10 minutes are less developed areas that could be considered quiet and rural. The school is about a 20 minute drive for me, but so worth it. I could live in Omaha, but Papillion is a much smaller city and there are benefits to that such as snow plows being much more efficient.

The zoo and childrens museum are places we visit often with our kids and they have great attractions!

I'm sure you are right about the cost of living here being lower than in NJ.

I'm not sure of your income, but there is a upper class rural neighborhood about 10 minutes from Papillion called Hawaiian Village. My sister's husband's parents live there and it is on a lake and gorgeous. It is just a small neighborhood tucked into the country. It is only 10 minutes from a large shopping plaza with a grocery store and restaurants and shops. Might be something for you to look at to achieve what you are looking for.

As for crunchy communities, I would say it is very integrated throughout Omaha and the surrounding areas. You might want to check out Omaha Area Natural Parents on facebook. That group includes a lot of crunchy mamas with more info on food coops and farmers markets etc. I am in the group and know a lot of the moms from LLL, The memebers also meet up for playdates and give advice and encouragement to other local moms.

Hope this helps:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post

Thank you so much for your feedback! I've never been to Omaha... OR Nebraska! :-D How do you like living there? Is it a kid-friendly city? Do you live in, or outside of the city? Are there green/crunchy communities in the area? Any suburbs or more rural areas not to far from the city that you'd recommend? We'd love a place with a lot of open space, that's not out of reach of the benefits of the city (is this too crazy an idea?!)

Just considering the prices you quoted for the Montessori school (plus, I took at look at the city zoo & children's museum admission prices), I'm guessing the cost of living is lower in this area?  Of course, I'm living in NJ, so everything here is skewed towards outrageous when it comes to cost. I will definitely take a look at those schools!

Ooooo getting excited. I really appreciate your response! haven't gotten any feedback yet on my posts! :)

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page