What's your experience with floor beds? When? How? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and came by way of a search for opinions about floor beds. I've just decided to go with it a month ago, when my son turned 1.

I've been wanting to get rid of the crib for a while now because his room has sloping ceilings, and the less tall furniture in there, the better. Also, I wanted him to let us sleep a little more instead of crying to be let out of the crib in the morning. So I just took the crib mattress and laid it on a rug (with an anti-slip mat underneath) in a corner of his room.

Of course, the room was also babyproofed.

It's working out pretty great for me. No more crying in the morning, but he's not quietly playing with his toys either as I had hoped. Instead, he makes a beeline for the gate and sort of chirps until I go to him. Better than crying though.

It makes me wonder if I should have done this earlier. Or if I should be doing something different. Just looking for other people's experiences and learn something so I can do better for #2. So...

1. At what age did you start your baby/toddler on the floor bed? Or was it a milestone (like when he/she started to roll over)?
  2. Did you start with a crib? Co-sleeping? Some other arrangement?
  3. Were you concerned about cold, drafts, dust, dirt, mildew, pets, older children, etc? What did you do about it?
  4. What size mattress did you use?

Also, on a less practical note, is anyone using some kind of frame? I've read about the Michael Olaf and the Lord Company ones but, IMHO, they're kind of pricey. Something about a mattress on the floor looks unfinished and disorderly to me in my son's rather put-together room.

Thanks a lot!

#2 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabwashere View Post

1. At what age did you start your baby/toddler on the floor bed? Or was it a milestone (like when he/she started to roll over)?
  2. Did you start with a crib? Co-sleeping? Some other arrangement?
  3. Were you concerned about cold, drafts, dust, dirt, mildew, pets, older children, etc? What did you do about it?
  4. What size mattress did you use?

Also, on a less practical note, is anyone using some kind of frame? I've read about the Michael Olaf and the Lord Company ones but, IMHO, they're kind of pricey. Something about a mattress on the floor looks unfinished and disorderly to me in my son's rather put-together room.

Thanks a lot!

Hi and Welcome smile.gif !! I hope your search turned up previous threads about floor beds. If it didn't, there are a few and if you scroll down you should find them easily. 

I think if your child wants to see a parent first thing when he wakes up, a floor bed won't really make a difference compared to waking in a crib. You can hope that he'll be distracted by being able to move around or play with a few toys, but likely he just wants you - not the other stuff - kwim? For a 1 y.o. baby/toddler, it's also likely he needs a diaper change and is hungry when he wakes, so toys aren't going to satisfy those needs. 

To answer your questions: 

1. We started a little late - about 12 or 18 months (it was a long time ago and memory has dimmed). 

2. We co-slept for a few months, then used a crib, then moved to the floor bed. 

3. I wasn't concerned about cold or drafts. I kept the floors swept/vacuumed to deal with dust. He was crawling and playing on the same floors during the day, so it didn't occur to me that it would be any different to sleep on them at night.

I'm not sure about your concern with older children. We don't wear shoes in the house, so there was no need to worry about a child wearing shoes or walking with shoes on the floor bed, if that's the concern. 

Pets - we had a cat but she was about 6 or 8 years old when our first was born. I don't recall any issues. She avoided him, so she avoided the floor bed and his room too. 

4. We used a double-sized futon that DH and I had first used when we moved in together. We relegated it to the guest room/office when we bought bedroom furniture a few years later, and it stayed in that room when we turned it into the nursery. We didn't use any kind of frame for it. If you are concerned about dust, I would think dust would accumulate more if you lift the mattress off the floor an inch or two and thus give the dust bunnies space to collect. 

HTH. 

nocuna likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ollyoxenfree. I have been reading the other threads as well and man, my eyes are burning! I've been at this computer far too long ;)

About the older children, I wasn't really too concerned about them dirtying up the place but more along the lines of piling toys on the younger baby and that kind of thing.

#4 of 11 Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM

1. Our son was on a floor bed by himself in his own room when he was about 8 months old.

2. Prior to that, he had slept in a swing, a co-sleeper, on a mattress on a floor with me and then on a mattress on the floor next to another floor mattress that my husband and I slept on.

3. I didn't have any of those concerns. My biggest concern was him falling out of bed. We ended up putting pillows around the mattress to cushion his fall.

4. He's on a full/double mattress.

#5 of 11 Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Maybe this is the wrong question but how did you keep your 8 month old in the bed?  Ok, I understand that the point of that type of bed is so that they can get out of it.  I guess my question is- was he asleep when you put him on his bed or did he fall asleep on it?  Were you right there as he fell asleep?

My 8 month old is on a sleep strike and so I've been thinking about new ways to help her go to sleep and stay asleep (not all night- I know that's not reasonable- but longer than 5 min would be nice).  Do you think a M bed would help that?

#6 of 11 Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Once we moved our son into his own room at 8 months old, I don't remember having any problems keeping him in bed. I always put him down on the bed while he was still awake and left the room. We used a double mattress because my son moves around a lot in his sleep (there's no way he would've stayed on a crib mattress), but even so he did fall off sometimes and I would simply put him back in bed and he would go back to sleep.

When we were still all sleeping on mattresses on the floor in the same room, he did go through a stage where he would not stay in bed. I remember one horrible day where he kept getting off the bed and in Supernanny fashion, I kept going in and putting him back on the bed. We had a video monitor, so I'd know immediately when he got off. We did this over and over for hours. By the end, we were both crying. It was horrible! He did eventually crash and go to sleep, but I decided after that never to wage a battle with him again about sleeping in his mattress. So, sometimes he would sleep on the floor and sometimes he'd sleep on the pillows surrounding his bed. But I decided where he was sleeping mattered less to me than that he was sleeping.

And eventually he stopped moving around so much and just slept on his mattress. Now that he's 2, he really does not move out of the bed once we put him in it (although he has been resisting that initial tuck-in more the last few nights). If his pillow or one of his loveys falls out of bed, he will call to m to come and get it rather than get out of bed himself.

I should mention, too, that the main motivator for moving him to his own room on the floor bed was that we were both getting terrible sleep. He was waking up every 2 hours to nurse (we had a ton of breastfeeding issues), and as a result neither of us were getting good sleep. Once we put him in his own room, he started reliably sleeping through the night. I would put him to bed at around 8 and go in and do a dream-feed around 10 or 11 (he was old from everything I had read to be doing dream-feeds, but it worked for us), and then he would sleep until around 7 a.m., I think. My memory is a little fuzzy, so our schedule may have been slightly different from that, but the point is we were both getting nice long chunks of sleep.

As for whether a floor bed would help your situation, it's hard for me to say since I don't know the full details of your sleep arrangements and different kids can react very differently to situations. For us, I think the better sleep was more a function of having him in his own room rather than a floor bed, but I will say the floor bed has worked well for us and I'm glad we did it.

I hope that helps and that you find something that works for you!

nocuna likes this.
#7 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 AM

Did you end up trying the floor bed? How did it work out?

If rolling off the bed is your concern, I read a great tip here about rolling up a towel and tucking it underneath the bedsheet on one side. It isn't a wall, so if your baby is a hard roller or intentionally wants to get out, it will be easy.

#8 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 AM

We JUST put our daughter's mattress on the floor - but we're still co-sleeping. The mattress in our master bedroom has been on the floor since we started co-sleeping, otherwise we felt as though the bed was just too far off the ground. She's started showing interest in sleeping in her own room (she's always been incredibly independent) - and we're supporting her in that decision.

She's 13.5 months old.

I'm a bit of a clean-freak, and we have three dogs, so I keep our home vaccuumed consistently, and dust several times weekly.

Each child is an individual, and I agree with OllyOxenFree on this one - I understand the need for sleep, but it's probably that (considering your kiddo's age) they need a change, and emotional confirmation of your being there. Not to mention being hungry.

#9 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 AM

Okay - I am a FLOOR bed EVANGELIST! 

I ditched my daughter's crib at 13 months and put her on a twin-sized mattress on the floor. I also completely baby-proofed her room and made all of her toys accessible, so there was no desire to climb :-)  Also, I put a gate up at her door to keep her contained during the night. I am big fan of the Montessori Method.

My daughter fell off the bed maybe twice if that, with no issues and she caught on early. What I found was during the day, she would go in even from the beginning, lay on her bed, play, look at books - on her OWN! It was her room. Now at 2 1/2 she sleeps in a regular twin sized bed on a frame with no problems. She goes into her room when she needs a "break" or just wants some time alone.  I have to say it was the BEST decision I made. For helping my daughter develop early independence and a sense of belonging - the floor bed was the answer.

Okay bragging moment here: The other night instead of waking me up to let me know she had to go potty. She got out of her bed, went into the bathroom, put her potty seat on the toilet, took her jammies off and did it all by herself!! The next morning she ran up to me letting me know she went potty by herself. I can't even begin to express how proud I am of her!  

I don't believe in restricting children to a cage, even the pack n play got little use in our house - but that is just me :-)

Maggie

Is My Preschooler Gifted?

#10 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM

I am a nanny to 9 month old twins, and am curious about this method for sleeping. The parents and I have had a great deal of trouble getting them to sleep at naptime or bedtime, but when they don't nap or go to bed on time, they are exhausted. They've been using the cry it out method, but honestly, hearing them cry for up to an hour at a time is both exhausting, and just doesn't feel right. I've been a nanny to infants before, and always leaned more towards an AP style, but it doesn't seem as feasible with twins, as I can't comfortably hold or wear them both at the same time, and not being on some kind of schedule results in chaos and exhaustion for us both. I'd really like to try some Montessori baby methods, to help them be more comfortable being independent (they are very "needy" babies, and don't play on their own much at all).

What do you do if you leave the child in their room and they cry? Do you respond, or do you leave them? When these twins are tired, they will cry non-stop unless someone is holding them (not really possible because they flail and bop each other if I hold them both at once), and even then they often cry, because they seem anxious about the imminent prospect of being put in the crib. Anyone have any tips for me? We do keep a routine leading up to bedtime (bottle/story/rocking chair/put in crib), and it only seems to make them anxious, because they don't like their cribs. Honestly I've been a nanny for 7 years, and have never had much trouble getting children to sleep, but I am at my wit's end.

Has anyone tried floor sleeping with multiples? Do they keep eachother up?

#11 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyBeth View Post

I am a nanny to 9 month old twins, and am curious about this method for sleeping. The parents and I have had a great deal of trouble getting them to sleep at naptime or bedtime, but when they don't nap or go to bed on time, they are exhausted. They've been using the cry it out method, but honestly, hearing them cry for up to an hour at a time is both exhausting, and just doesn't feel right. I've been a nanny to infants before, and always leaned more towards an AP style, but it doesn't seem as feasible with twins, as I can't comfortably hold or wear them both at the same time, and not being on some kind of schedule results in chaos and exhaustion for us both. I'd really like to try some Montessori baby methods, to help them be more comfortable being independent (they are very "needy" babies, and don't play on their own much at all).

What do you do if you leave the child in their room and they cry? Do you respond, or do you leave them? When these twins are tired, they will cry non-stop unless someone is holding them (not really possible because they flail and bop each other if I hold them both at once), and even then they often cry, because they seem anxious about the imminent prospect of being put in the crib. Anyone have any tips for me? We do keep a routine leading up to bedtime (bottle/story/rocking chair/put in crib), and it only seems to make them anxious, because they don't like their cribs. Honestly I've been a nanny for 7 years, and have never had much trouble getting children to sleep, but I am at my wit's end.

Has anyone tried floor sleeping with multiples? Do they keep eachother up?

There is a subforum for parenting Multiples. It's up under the Parenting section. You might find better advice there. I think here you will find most parents don't use CIO whether they are using floor beds a la Montessori or not. Dealing with the twins sounds really tough and a lot more complicated than dealing with a single. I don't think I have a lot to say on the subject. Also, we used the floor bed at an older age, not at 9 months. To answer your questions, yes, we had a well-established routine when we used it and yes, I responded if my child was crying. Best wishes with it. 

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page