Maybe public kindergarten to save up for private after that? Oh Money problems :( - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 1 Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
tammylsmith's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a post further down with a question mulling over how parents make private school tuition work within their budgets. I left out a big deciding factor for dh and I, and that is that we are recovering from 2 years of trying to start a business... 2 years where we burned through our savings, 401k and 3 credit cards to try and make it work. We both abandoned ship and went back to work "for the man" (lol, actually, I lucked out because I LOVE my job and dh found a position that pays about double what he made before, so--on paper at least-- private school should be no sweat)


Our problem is that we have a big hole to dig out from, and I'm wondering if doing private school this year will take away from getting our financial house in order.. at least building back our savings for a rainy day and paying off the plastic! It pains me to say it.. because we did a school visit and I am absolutely IN LOVE with this school... it is like childhood heaven and it makes me want to be 5 years old again so I can go there :).... but maybe I need to do what's best for all of us and send dd to the public kindergarten, which is still a sweet, small school, and we live in a "good" district" (whatever that means). Dd makes friends so easily... she visited this private school for three days and already knew all the teachers and most of the kids (and they all knew her).. I think she would handle a school switch without too much trouble. I also don't have a huge philosophical problem with kindergarten in general... it is first grade, when the homework and tests usually start up.



Would you mind offering your thoughts up on my situation? Dh is going to be overjoyed if I tell him this (he's the financial worry wort of the two of us), but it will be a bitter pill for me. Still... if I know I will come out on the other side with a better ability to afford the school, and am more comfortable and away from the financial cliff... I think I can handle it. I might even run my situation past the director at the private school. Even though, on paper, there is no way we could qualify for a financial need-based tuition reduction, this is a very small, independent school and they might consider my case.



Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
tammylsmith is offline  


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 16,693

26 members and 16,667 guests
BBardott , BirthFree , blueskysunday123 , Boodah'smama , Deborah , greenemami , hillymum , IsaFrench , katelove , Katherine73 , Kelleybug , legitd , lisak1234 , MarylandMommy , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , redsally , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , sidrajedi , VocalMinority , zebra15 , zoeyzoo
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.