Dd will be one of only two kids for K year at Montessori - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I'm hoping you all can offer some guidance/experience/insight.

My daughter is at a small, lovely Montessori school that she and we adore. 

We have found out that she will be one of only two kids there for the "K" year -- and the other child is one that will be new to the school. Everyone else is moving on to public school.

We are so torn about this - we love and believe in the Montessori method, but to be in a peer group of two? I worry she will be lonely and bored, and that when does move to pubic she will be really behind socially. 

Anyone have experience with this? Is it worth it to keep her there? I don't even know if we can get into our local public schools, since we already told them no thank you -- we were led to believe there would be about four kids in her peer group, but things changed.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you!

A

#2 of 2 Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Will there literally be a class of only 2 all the time? It doesn't seem like it would be financially viable for the school. I've seen programs where either the program is cancelled without some minimum enrollment, or they adjust the class in some way, so maybe they'd mix the oldest of the "pre-K" kids with the "K" for a mixed age group, which I think would be fine. I'd start by clarifying with the school what they plan to do given the situation.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page