Afraid of the transition after Montessori?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I know i'm probably thinking way too far ahead, but I can't help it! My sons are 3 & 4. We have decided to put them into a Montessori school that goes to grade 8. I've considered after that, moving to another state that has a Montessori High School. It's hard for me to understand how they will adapt well to a completely different learning method if they moved into a public school. Going from hands on, Montessori tools to a huge text book and lectures?! jaw2.gif

Have any of you been through a transition from Montessori to Public/Private schooling? 

I'm also wondering, how will they do in College? Since i'm planning to keep them in Montessori until 12th grade, will they have a difficult time learning in a College setting??

Please help this worrier! Thanks ;)

#2 of 3 Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Haev you seen a montesori classroom in higher grades?  they are quite different!  The 1st-3rd grade uses a lot of hands-on tools like primary, but mostly for math.  The 4th-5th use about 50/50, while the 6th graders use maybe 25%.  By the time they reach teh 7th-8th grade class, they do have some manipulatives in the room, but the vast majority are using traditional books.  Sure, there are science projects/engineering projects that are hands-on, but honestly, at this age, they prefer the abstract over the concrete.  its truly a gradual transition, and its more in line with how the child's brain develops.  Remember also, that all along the way, there are manipulatives to help with the concepts, but by the time they reach the 8th grade, there are so few, simply because the children do not need/want them anymore.  Our 7-8 classroom in our school has ONE manipulative out (chemistry), but its never touched, simply because their development is beyond the need for this.

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#3 of 3 Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Hi Lindsey - love the name, it's my daughter's name, also with an e.

From personal discussions and readings, Montessori children can transition very well to a public or traditional private high school.  In fact, when my daughter was 1, I met a couple of local high school teachers for coffee, and the consensus was - they KNEW who the Montessori kids were.  I was pretty blunt with them - basic gist of my question was:  if I were to invest in K-6 or 7-12, what did they suggest.  Across the board - yes, invest in early education.

That said, not sure of the schools in your current city, but many public high schools have very success IB (International Baccalaureate) programs for qualified students.  Many high schools and colleges follow a Socratic approach for certain classes, in addition to other teaching styles.  I would suggest that if you have concerns about the local high schools, go there - ask them questions.  So, I'm not sure Montessori is worth moving to another state, but see what you have within your local  area.  Montessori High School is the newest curriculum that is probably closest to mainstream teaching.  Biggest differentiators being in the Primary (!!!!!!) and then Elementary (LE and UE) where there are some unique ways of learning things, especially math.  The further along, the less of a difference between the teaching methods.

For myself - I've locked my ex into helping pay for Primary 3/4/5 with no argument.  Now LE, UE and Middle School are still on the table - Ideally, I'd love my little one to have such a cherished experience at our particular Montessori through 8th grade, but that may come out of my pocket 100%.  Beyond that, here we have a solid high school with a superb IB program, an absolutely top notch private school and even a fascinating charter school that is very tech-based where there are few students who primarily work as project teams.

As far as how they do in college - probably just fine.  Someone who is taught to think and act independently will do well anywhere.

Hope this helps!

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page