Foreign language in a Montessori classroom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If your school has a foreign language program, is it taught as a stand alone special or is it taught within the classroom with Montessori materials? Our school is considering teaching a foreign language within the classroom. e.g. Montessori materials currently used for language works would be purchased in the foreign language and used throughout the day. This sounds, to me, like a great way to teach the second language.  I was wondering if anyone has had this experience.

This w/b a new program for the school.  In previous years, our school offered a foreign language as an after school program. The teacher retired two years ago so they did not offer a foreign language last year. 

eta...one of the teachers in the classroom is fluent in several foreign languages so she could help the children.

eta...This is an elementary classroom, not preschool.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 AM

My kids aren't in a Montessori school, but they are at a trilingual school. English and French are the main languages and are taught and practiced throughout the day through the teacher's choice of language and the children's interaction with each other (some are mother-tongue English, some mother-tongue French). Spanish is taught in a more traditional manner, in a 15-minute per day program (at the preschool level, with time increased with age), but the students also interact with the Spanish teacher at lunchtime, recess, etc. and she consistently speaks Spanish with them.

We also speak German at home and, to a great extent, the school environment mirrors our home environment, where everyone can express themselves in the language of their choice and things are very fluid.

#3 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdinparenting View Post

My kids aren't in a Montessori school, but they are at a trilingual school. English and French are the main languages and are taught and practiced throughout the day through the teacher's choice of language and the children's interaction with each other (some are mother-tongue English, some mother-tongue French). Spanish is taught in a more traditional manner, in a 15-minute per day program (at the preschool level, with time increased with age), but the students also interact with the Spanish teacher at lunchtime, recess, etc. and she consistently speaks Spanish with them.

We also speak German at home and, to a great extent, the school environment mirrors our home environment, where everyone can express themselves in the language of their choice and things are very fluid.

Wow...it is great that your children are exposed to so many languages.

Unfortunately, we only speak English at home and all their teachers and classmates are English speakers.  So this would be a new language for the entire class.

#4 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 AM

My DS has French at his Montessori. He is preschool but they mainly use it at circle time and learn songs and such in French. The idea is that they are preparing the kids to go into French immersion programs in the public school.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#5 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 PM

My DD has French at Montessori school, 4 times a week in the afternoon. They use different materials than Montessori, but it is very active learning (speaking, writing, singing, drawing, signing) and she is pretty good after the first year.

Check out this book on kindle http://bit.ly/playsongs

#6 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirina View Post

My DD has French at Montessori school, 4 times a week in the afternoon. They use different materials than Montessori, but it is very active learning (speaking, writing, singing, drawing, signing) and she is pretty good after the first year.

When I spoke with my children's teacher, she said she wanted the foreign language integrated into the classroom or if a 'special', more than 1x/week....4x/week w/b great.

#7 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 06:20 AM

My daughter attends a Spanish immersion Montessori program. The first two years are 100% immersion during the 3 hour work cycle. In the Kindergarten year, she will go to a 2nd work cycle that will be 50/50 Spanish and English.

From what I've heard, the children complete the program speaking reading & writing both languages. DD has just finished her first year and seems to be understanding much of what her teachers say to her. She speaks a few words and phrases, but from what I understand she is right on track.

The problem is that after this program I have to figure out a way to keep her exposed to Spanish or she will lose it. We do have a charter Montessori school with one class that does immersion, so I'm hoping to get her into that.

#8 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwins View Post

My daughter attends a Spanish immersion Montessori program. The first two years are 100% immersion during the 3 hour work cycle. In the Kindergarten year, she will go to a 2nd work cycle that will be 50/50 Spanish and English.

From what I've heard, the children complete the program speaking reading & writing both languages. DD has just finished her first year and seems to be understanding much of what her teachers say to her. She speaks a few words and phrases, but from what I understand she is right on track.

The problem is that after this program I have to figure out a way to keep her exposed to Spanish or she will lose it. We do have a charter Montessori school with one class that does immersion, so I'm hoping to get her into that.

One of my children's teachers came from a Montessori Spanish immersion school.  She said it was a really great program.  In her school there were quite a few children in the classroom with Spanish as a first language.  In our school, English is the primary language for all the students so they will not have the benefit of speaking with children who speak the language fluently.

I share your concerns about maintaining the language.  My husband wants he and I to learn whatever language the children are learning so we can all use it at home.  I am not sure how helpful that will be since he and I will not be fluent in the language.

#9 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM

My son(kindergarten) has Spanish as an in-class special on a weekly basis.  From my understanding, all students kindergarten through at least sixth grade have a Spanish special each week. 

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

Tags
Montessori

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page