My 3 yr old girl likes the new montessori preschool but does not play with the toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter joined in the montessori preschool less than month ago. She was from a small daycare which she loves day and night. Actually she loves almost anywhere with toys and kids - she is social and active and outgoing. But this new issue just came to me. I was told she walked around in the classroom and look instead of placing her hands on the toys. If the teacher introduces her a toy and asks her to play, Mostly she knows how to do it but just walk away before she finishes it. Starting from Feburary I bought her some montessori toys and play with her at home. She was interested in a lot and fast learning it - she leaned to put the individual state puzzles together into a USA map in two weeks. But recently even at home she is not quiet interested in the montessori toys. She is more interested in using pens - crayons, chalk, pen, paint brush or even drawing with her fingures by dipping the paint. I am not sure if it is an indicator of something when kid does not like to play with the montessori toys in Montessori priciple. 

I would love to hear from you about it. Any ideas you can share with me is appreciated. Thank you. Lily

#2 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM

How old is she?  At my son's montessori 3 to 5 year old room, they have an easel with paints and they also had some activities that involved coloring with crayons and using colored pencils.  I wonder if she's not old enough for those (maybe they save them for the kids that they're wanting to start writing soon?)  or maybe those aren't traditional montessori things.  Does she like the sand drawing exercise?  I just asked my ds if it was fun, and he said "sort of" which I think is a yes.  lol

You say she likes it, do you know what she likes about it?  My ds LOVED his montessori preschool and we ended up keeping him there through second grade and now he's starting third at a different montessori in the fall.  I really like the montessori philosophy and the materials, but I don't feel any allegiance them.  I'm hoping to send my second there in the fall, but mostly because I loved my older son's teacher.  I actually would not send him to a different teacher there (there are only 3 and I think the other two are just a little too authoritarian for my taste).  Anyhow...  as long as she's basically happy there, I think I'd give it a little more time, but maybe I'd be researching other programs...

ETA:  Also, my son started in the montessori preschool as his first preschool experience when he was about to turn five, so he could have started kindy that year, but we wanted him to start later.  At that point, we were interested in him having a learning experience that included or at least introduced some academic stuff, but I have thought that if he were much younger I would have wanted him in a more play based preschool.  Of course now ds2 is only 3 1/2 and I'm on the fence about that, but I feel so good about the teacher that I can't imagine sending him somewhere else.  Also, ds2 could use a little self-discipline, which I think they do learn at the montessori.  Ds1 was oddly disciplined from the get go.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#3 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Welcome to MDC!  I am going to move this to the Montessori forum for some new views.  :)

#4 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am currently thinking about the same too. Maybe it's too early for my daughter to join the montessri school. She is actually only 2yr and 10 month old. But that school class takes kids from 2 - 3 yr old. I noticed that the classroom most of the time had only one teacher with about 15 -20 kids in the past two weeks. My daughter is new there. I wonder if it is because she did not get enough attention to be introduced to the the toys she is interested in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page