Montessori Teacher homeschooling child with special needs advice with Elementary Montessori and LD curriculum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-13-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As a Montessori teacher I would like to follow the Montessori Guide.  My training though is with 3-6 year olds.  My son is 12 with Special Needs Severe Dyslexia, Attention and Memory issues, and needs a lot of one on one, repetition and guidance toward independence.  His early years were Montessori, and most of his solid learning came from that time, and everything since (in special education traditional schools) has been negligible at best. I am looking at the Keys to the Universe Curriculum and thinking of supplementing it with explicit lessons that meet his needs.  For example Right Start Math works for him as the counting bits does not, however since she was a Montessori teacher there is lots of related material and lesson giving is similiar, but more explicit and meets him where he is right now.  The language program is great and systematic but he will need more so I am looking at supplementing with Seeing stars, Visualizing and Verbalizing, and reading  Naturally for Fluency. I would like to follow the curriculum for science, culture, geography, history, practical life, and general philosophy but a little daunted as to how to really put it together.  We are currently using the Keys to the Universe great lessons to guide us and using supplementary visuals, films, and experiments to go along with the material at the highest level of his ability.  My goal is to meet him where he is and give him a big picture view to attach all the pieces too for greater understanding from which he can develop better critical thinking skills, learn to develop questions, activate his sense of wonder, and provide a visual and big picture framework to aid his memory.  If anyone has suggestions about curriculum, or is working with an older special needs child in this way I would love any encouragement, or words of wisdom.  

#2 of 2 Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Anyone have any suggestions or advice to offer? 

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page