Does DS need a backpack for school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

DS will be starting a Montessori primary program. He's 3. Does he need a backpack? I'm sure every school is different & I plan to ask at the open house next week but I'm just curious if it's an accross the board type of thing.

If your LO's need backpacks... how big?

We have a list of supplies (thankfully a short list) but it doesn't mention if he needs to bring anything with him every day.

Thanks!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

DC did not use/need a back pack at that age, no. She went to a school that served snack/lunch so she didn't really need to bring anything to and from school. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 year old son brings a backpack in every day for extra clothes. His preschool has a gate drop-off policy, so I don't go in with him in the morning. He's responsible for taking his bag inside and upacking anything he needs. Sometimes the backpack is empty but we still bring it as it's become part of the routine. Food is provided, so generally it's just an item or two of clothing - they play outside after lunch in any weather so it's often "just in case" stuff to accomodate a possible change in weather - rain clothes/rubber boots/sunhat/mittens, etc. We do keep some clothes at the preschool too though, as it would be too much to bring it all in each day.

Cheers, Caitlinn

Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A backpack is handy for extra clothes, especially if he may have the occasional accident or if you live somewhere with changeable weather happening over the course of a day.

I also kept an 8.5 x 11 in. clear plastic envelope in the backpack, for notes to/from the teachers, permission slips for field trips, newsletters and any completed works that was being sent home. My kids loved putting together the little booklets of drawings (parts of a plant, parts of horse etc.) and flags of the world and that sort of thing and so we had lots of stuff coming home from school. 

It doesn't need to be large. It should be comfortable for them to carry and easy to manage any zippers or other closures independently. 

I would definitely check with the school and find out whether the children have cubbies or lockers or shelves or just hooks for storing their jackets, street shoes and other belongings. There may not be much room for a backpack. 

Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM

At my daughters school we bring in a plastic shoe box with anything she may need (change of clothes etc) that stays in her cubby all year so there is no lugging a back pack back and forthe everyday for which I am extremely grateful!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Our school does not allow backpacks until upper levels.  Has your school provided a supplies list?

Each child has his/her own cubby with name and picture next to primary classroom.

Primary students bring canvas totes for notes back and forth, as well as drawings and arts and crafts.  We found one for about 12 bucks at Lands End that is a gawdy orange color with white stripes so she can easily find her bag.  Depending where you are located, this type of canvas tote can be easily found cheaply - and you can also throw them in the washing machine.

Among some of the other things she takes and we leave them in the cubby throughout the year or season:

Req;  Separate shoes for indoor shoes (they change to go outside) - we leave the indoor shoes in her cubby all year (shoes are labeled, but it rubs off eventually)

Req:  Labeled gallon plastic bag with extra underwear, socks, pants and a shirt in case of accidents or other times (all clothes are also labeled)

For winter (optional):

Extra gloves and hats - they seem to disappear and reappear

Snow pants for outside play (I leave them at school and might bring them home for weekend to wash or for outside play during weekends

One thing I have found - I leave as much as I can in her cubby, without things flowing over so that she has what she needs and worst case scenario, if we forget her tote, she has backups at school in her cubby.

Tags
Montessori
User Tag List