Mutiples in Montessori- Anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

I'm here because my twin boys *almost 4* are starting at our local Montessori this Friday and I am terrified that their physical, spirited little selves are going to struggle to fit in-or worse yet- not fit in at all. (This is much harder for me than it is for them).

We definitely have some behavior issues that seem to stem from intense jealousy over each other.  I'm so hopeful that this new environment helps them feel more secure as individuals.  They will be in separate classes.  Try as I might, they really need time/identities apart from each other. I'm super hopeful that the ability to lead their own learning will help them.

Any other twin moms out there have success in these areas?

Thanks for your time :)

#2 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Had success teaching twins before, if that counts. :)

The way you describe your twins makes them sound fantastic for the environment.  "Physical, spirited little selves" is exactly what Montessori needs.  Montessori is full of movement, it's full of spirit, and it helps the child to learn how to focus that spirit and movement into something meaningful.

A key to Montessori's success is seeing a child who is excited about learning and helping to guide them into that.  Montessori's premise is that children are naturally curious and active.  So this sounds like a perfect match.

I just started teaching at a new school about a month ago and the children were having trouble focusing during presentations.  I wonder if your sons might have a hard time adjusting to when to be active and when it's time to relax.  ANY teacher worth having will know that there is an adjustment period for learning this in almost all students.  They should let you know if there are problems with it, just so you both are on the same page, but they should also work with them patiently to help them adjust.

I think things will be great if you found a great school.  Just from what little you said, it sounds perfect.  I also think a lot of jealousy things might go away once they really get into it and start to develop different interests.

#3 of 3 Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Our 4 1/2 year old spirited daughters have been in Montessori for a little over two years now.  It's very good for them.  Montessori itself is wonderful, although sometimes the girls complain about "working too hard."  They're little perfectionists, and it's self-driven.

Best for us was separating our twins, who are identical.  We just don't have time to be with each kid on their own much at home.  We try, but it's hard.  So to have a separate class, and separate friends, is a huge benefit.  The jealousy is reduced. 

Have you observed the class?  I've really enjoyed doing that, and it gave me a better understanding of how the directoresses channel all that 4 year old energy. 

Hope it's as fantastic for your family as it has been for ours!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page