Having a tough transition to 5-day Montessori primary program - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi there! My 3 1/2 yo DS just started at a Montessori school past week. He goes every day 8:30-11:30. He is having a tough time making the transition.

A little background. DS has been home since birth with either me, DH or a sitter. He's a homebody & transitioning out the door has always been a major challenge. He's been doing a Waldorf parent-child class once a week since he was 20 months or so.

His teacher says he is very into his work during the day but is going through the normal transition challenges. Apparently she has some difficulty encouraging him to go to gym. She doesn't seem concerned though.

At home he gives conflicting reports - he doesn't like school, doesn't like gym, doesnt like leaving us, or all three. I'm not surprised at any of this. But my question is, how long should we expect the transition to last? Leaving in the morning involves many tears. Have we made a mistake in throwing him into a 5 day a week program?

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son had a difficult time when he started that lasted about two weeks. He was ok for a while and then started crying again at the drop off moment. I was concerned and spoke with the teacher about him crying after 6 months of being already in that class. She told me that occasionally other kids cry too. Somehow, I didn’t believe what she told me because at the hour I usually drop him, my son was the only one crying. Soon after, I have witnessed other kids crying too; kids that were enrolled for a while. This is not a daily picture, but occasionally they cry.

My son also one day doesn’t like his classmates and next day he likes them all.

Overall, in my son’s case he is much better in a classroom arrangement than in a home setting. He is more interested in socializing with kids than with adults. But each child is unique.

I think you heard before that he is going to adjust; and sounds so general, but indeed he will.

#3 of 3 Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thanks, mbmb, for the encouragement. It's still rough but getting better. I think the hardest thing is that he seems genuinely sad. If it were just a crying fit or a tantrum, I'd just help him through it & get on. But it's really hard when he seems so sad (& expresses being sad) about having to go to school. His teacher, though, says he is doing great & the director tells us that once he's in the door he's into being there. I'm hopeful!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page