Mothering Forum banner

Montessori families of 4th grade and up kids****Is there anyone out there with 9 and 10 year olds in Montessori??

Tags
montessori
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ilaria 
#1 ·
I need help! We just went from public school to a Montessori/home school hybrid school this year. My son is in 4th grade but doing 6th grade work. Which is one reason why we moved schools. But, the problem we are having is deprogramming from public school ways to montessori ways. For me and him. He has always done well in school. He learns quickly, does the work, never had to ask for help, etc. We switched because he was bored and not challenged enough. Now he is getting the challenge academically that he has needed but we are also seeing so many gaps that he needs filled. He isn't getting his work completed at school which is so unlike him but I think it is because he is lacking certain skills that he has never had to exercise at school before. Time management for one. Asking questions for help is another.

I need a Montessori mentor to help me with the transition so I can help him. Anybody out there?

#2 ·
Hello there,

I have a 4th grade girl who is 10 years old and she attends a montessori school. I am also an AMI trained montessori teacher. I would be glad to help you out. Montessori programs can start from pregnancy to adolescence. It is ideal that the child starts from the beginning,but that is not always the case. My daughter started montessori in the second grade. She went from constantly staying in trouble for refusing to do what she called "baby work I had when I was 2" (her words, not mine) to being focused and motivated to do work. The transition for her to understand the type of freedom and choice montessori offers was tough. She also was not very organized. Within a year, she adjusted well and the other day she told her teacher that she would like more work and responsibility. Now, keep in mind, in the beginning of this school year, she would have unfinished work all the time. She was not very good at time management. At public schools, they have a schedule and the teacher tells when and where to go. In the montessori elementary classroom, time management is something the child has to learn. I gave my daughter a watch. No more unfinished work.

Its is different than what you are used to, but I am positive your son will be just fine. There will definitely be an adjustment period, but just be patient. If you want to know more about montessori or a mentor, let me know.

Im happy to help!

#5 ·
I have a son in 6th grade, but he's always been in Montessori school, so he never had any challenges. His peers who have not, eventually ALL adjust, some take longer than others...don't despair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.