Montessori for a 22 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I am looking at the 2.5 hour half day. I worry that he is too young to benefit; that he will miss me too much.

Can anyone reassure me? Please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Do you worry that he is to young to benefit from school? Do you have to find a school for him right now? I'm confused about your situation.

and where are you located?

#3 of 11 Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

!! edited for crazy typos !!

I am just feeling I really need a few hours to myself each day. So I am looking at putting my 3.5 year old and 22 month old in the half day which is 2.5 hours Monday to Friday.

I am just feeling torn and feeling slightly like I am being selfish...

The kids there seem to have lots of fun though... we have watched classes twice.
#4 of 11 Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think every parent needs some time for his or herself.
#5 of 11 Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 PM

Maybe you should just post in the toddlers forum because this issue really isn't about montessori. the mamas there have lots of advice and can relate to needing time. Being a full time mom is exhausting and you should not feel selfish. *hugs*

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/31/toddlers

Go look!

#6 of 11 Old 05-14-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

It is about the type of schooling though. I wondered if he was too young to benefit from Montessori or not.

He has always been quite adventurous so I think once he gets used to it he will enjoy it.
#7 of 11 Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM

Wel, I am no expert but I think he would be the perfect age for it. I am reading Montessori The science behind the Genius by Lillard  and The Montessori method by Maria Montessori and Amazing Child The Montessori Way by Seldin and thus far I am learning a great deal and I have been following the Montessori way of  learning and interacting with my son who just turned 25 months but we have been doing it since birth. So, I think 22 months is perfect. Good luck and if you get a chance check out those books. I borrowed mine from the library.

#8 of 11 Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I definitely should read more. I move next week then maybe will have more time.
#9 of 11 Old 05-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The youngest children in DD's classroom are so much fun to watch.  They LOVE the practical life area and the "I can do it myself!" aspect of Montessori.  I think your little one would really get a lot out of it, and your older one would be able to show him around.  I say go for it!

DD 2/08
#10 of 11 Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Many Montessori schools will allow you to "phase-in" to the program, meaning you could stay in the classroom as long as your child needs you and you could start out with shorter days and gradually lengthen them.  If not, you could certainly ask the teacher/directress if you might be able to do this.

Toddlers usually love the Montessori toddler classroom because there are so many fun and interesting activities to do that are sized just for them!  I agree with tracyamber, take a look at some books about Montessori. Montessori from the Start and Montessori: Play and Learn are some other good books to check out.

As to if your child is ready, only you would really know that.  See if you might be able to do a "visit" to the school with your son and observe how he reacts to the adults and the classroom materials - it is not unusual for a toddler to cling to mom's leg for a bit!

He will have different experiences and activities at a Montessori school than at home and that can be a great benefit for him and you!  Try it out and give it a couple of weeks, I'm sure he (and you) will love the experience.

-a Montessori teacher

#11 of 11 Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. We do move to the area almost three weeks before he starts so I will do that.

Tags
Montessori

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page