Babyproof art for a Montessori bedroom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, I am setting up a Montessori-style bedroom for my 18-month-old.  I'd like to put some art on the walls, down at her level.  How do I babyproof this?  I'm thinking of doing some of the paintings myself, so I could make them however I needed to (paint on plywood and screw it to the wall?)  If you're hanging more conventional art or decorations, how do you secure it to the wall so baby can't pull it down?

PS - We live in a rental, so I need stuff I can remove and take with me (therefore no murals).

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 AM

I've been thinking about this, too (18 mo old, setting things up Montessori, live in a rental) and right now I'm thinking of just taping up art posters. Classy, I know, but with a tape border they should stick and then come down when I want to change them/leave (and they're cheap). 

#3 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM

I've wondered the same thing, but we're in military housing. I've seen my middle daughter pull a nail out of the wall, so I am not sure how I can make it so that something like that wouldn't be possible...screws, maybe? But then I also worry about the material of the art.
#4 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconia View Post

PS - We live in a rental, so I need stuff I can remove and take with me (therefore no murals).

I was going to suggest stencils or murals, until I read this! I would still consider it. You can do something new when you move on into another house.

A few ideas - 

Removable peel-and-stick wall decals. Lots of options out there if you do a search. ETA: I was thinking about avoiding the problems of nails and heavy items. I suppose there may be a risk that baby would pull off the decal and chew on it???? However, I know I've seen decals used in lots of nurseries/kids' rooms on sites like Apartment Therapy etc., and I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned as a problem. 

Instead of traditional nails or hooks, you could use velcro picture hanging strips, like these. I haven't used these particular ones, they are the first that came up on a google search.

Rather than heavy framed prints, you could use artwork printed onto unframed canvas or foamcore or other lightweight but durable material. 

Small flags are colourful and graphic and fun to hang like a garland on the wall. Bonus - they were part of the Montessori curriculum, at least when my kids attended the program for 3-6 y.o's. 

#5 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh, those velcro strips look awesome!  And I saw some cheap blank canvases on sale yesterday.  That might be the ticket!  So far she hasn't messed with anything (she just cries for me when she wakes up, and I go straight in).  But, in the event she did decide to enjoy her freedom, I imagine I'd hear velcro ripping over the baby monitor.  :)

#6 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Small flags are colourful and graphic and fun to hang like a garland on the wall. Bonus - they were part of the Montessori curriculum, at least when my kids attended the program for 3-6 y.o's. 

Quoting myself to add a note that I envisioned the flags individually placed on the wall in a series but NOT suspended along a string or a rope in an actual garland. There's a safety issue and potential strangling hazard with using a string to make a garland if it's within baby's reach. I should have been more clear. 

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page