Montessori Materials made by me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Anyone want to show off any materials you've made? Inspire me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Ooooh nice! I hope some will post to share. I love to see what people have created and are doing with their children in Montessori and sometimes wish I had done Montessori based education with my kids. 

Have you created anything you ca show us FarmerMomma? :love

Old 01-25-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I have about 17 started projects. Lol. I will take some pics and hopefully find my follow through ability.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll try and take some pictures soon and figure out how to upload (I've never done that at this site), but I've made:

- Pink tower out of poster board (I made it the right dimensions, but mine's blue)

- Blue and red number rods (right colors, but my longest rod is about a foot instead of a meter)

- Spindle box

- Color gradient cards (using paint color samples from our local hardware store)

- Sound jars (Basically pairs of jars filled with the same item (beans, paperclips, marshmallows, etc.) for child to match)

- Dressing frame with zipper and buttons (actually, my mom and kid sister made this one for me)

- Golden beads (except mine are white, because I was able to get 1000 white plastic beads for $6 which was the cheapest I could find. So far have made ten bars and hundred squares, but don't have enough to make the 1000 cube.)

I started the sandpaper letters, but never finished them. I'm always looking for ideas @FarmerMomma! :)

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

My current projects are magnetic hundred board and times table board on cookie sheets.

Also have a pizza pan with 60 clothes pins around it that should turn into a clock.

Gonna turn another pizza pan into color wheel that we can add things to. This works in my head.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by researchparent View Post

I'll try and take some pictures soon and figure out how to upload (I've never done that at this site), but I've made:

- Pink tower out of poster board (I made it the right dimensions, but mine's blue)

- Blue and red number rods (right colors, but my longest rod is about a foot instead of a meter)

- Spindle box

- Color gradient cards (using paint color samples from our local hardware store)

- Sound jars (Basically pairs of jars filled with the same item (beans, paperclips, marshmallows, etc.) for child to match)

- Dressing frame with zipper and buttons (actually, my mom and kid sister made this one for me)

- Golden beads (except mine are white, because I was able to get 1000 white plastic beads for $6 which was the cheapest I could find. So far have made ten bars and hundred squares, but don't have enough to make the 1000 cube.)

I started the sandpaper letters, but never finished them. I'm always looking for ideas @FarmerMomma! :)

Okay, I'm going to give this a shot.

Here are the sound jars (made out of a spice holder), "pink" tower, color gradient cards, "golden" beads, number cards, and dressing frame (clothes from Goodwill attached to a wooden picture frame).

Here's the spindle box. (I used dowels from 1-10 which is traditional, but then made it go all the way to 20 with beans) plus the storage spot for my number rods. The box is just a shirt gift box and I made the dividers with thin poster board.

Here are the number rods by themselves.

These are some of the ways we use the "golden" (actually white) beads so far.

FYI: Uploading pictures is really easy.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wow, bravo, ResearchParent!! Really beautiful & looks just like many of the materials in my son's classroom! We just had parent teacher conferences & he's working on the spindle box. He loves the maps too & just gave himself "homework": put together his US map puzzle, learn the names of all the states, write them out & trace the shapes!! Ha! Too funny (but he started it in earnest last night)!!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome research parent! I finished one.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

content

100 board magnetic tiles on cookie sheet.

(Finger nail polish remover cleans up permanent marker pretty well from cookie sheet. )
Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

:lurk

twins.gif M & B loving life together with Q baby.gif born 8/25/12
Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM

I finished my Montessori beads. I don't think I'm allowed to link to them, but here are some pictures.

I made them to use with a 6 year old (not my own). I think they're helpful, but he's not overly enthusiastic about them (or math in general, though he's in public school and is feeling discouraged about being "behind" which sucks). However, my 4 year old is dying to use them, but I've been holding back. Yesterday he asked me "If 4 and 4 makes 8, what makes 9?" I just pulled out 9 single white beads and showed him how you could divide them into 4 and 5. Then I moved one over and he saw that 3 and 6 make 9. Then without me saying anything else, he moved another one over and said "and 2 and 7 make 9" and moved 1 over and said "and 1 and 8 make 9!" He also understands that 10 hundreds is called a thousand, which I think is cute. The nice thing about him being younger is that there's absolutely no pressure at all, so he's still happy and eager to "work".  After we finished the lesson which took like 3 minutes, I told him to put the beads back so I could put the box away and he acted like I was taking back a Christmas present.  

Tags
Montessori
User Tag List