Is my son getting enough adult supervision at school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
DS attends a Montessori school full time. We mostly love it but this week a couple things happened that have me a bit concerned. He got two bloody noses (two different days) & burned his finger & in all cases it seems he had to take care of himself & no one from the school informed me.

Now the bloody noses actually might not concern me as much. Last year (his 1st at the school) he was getting them frequently & I warned his teacher & told her they were not serious. He also sometimes feels them coming so it is possible no adult noticed him go for a tissue to care for himself.

But the burn happened when he was helping prepare snack, which I assume would be supervised by an adult. It's a small burn, but it apparently hurt him enough that he was continuously going to the sink to run it under cold water. No one gave him any ointment or a bandage, even though there was a very small open blister.

I'm wondering if I should speak to the teacher. But part of me also thinks it's very possible my son didn't seek any help. What would you do?

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#2 of 6 Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi there!

I had a couple of questions to help me put this in context. Were the bloody noses "nosebleeds" such as some people just naturally get, or were they caused by an injury, such as walking into a door or someone punching him in the nose? Also as a private school, do they have a nurse on staff at the school, or what is their policy around first aid and how it is delivered. Many schools include in their parent handbook some information about how injuries and illness will be handled and how parents will be notified. Thanks!

#3 of 6 Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old is your son?
#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies all.

So, the nosebleeds did not occur as the result of any direct trauma that the teacher observed. My son is one of those kids who is prone to getting them.

There is no nurse on staff & good point about looking at the school policies! I don't remember seeing anything in there but I will double check it tonight.

And my son is 4.

I also do not have any doubt that his teachers have his best interests in mind. They are very kind to him & he thrives in their care. I do not think anyone there is neglectful. And I wonder if the children's independence may make them less likely to seek care for a little burn or scrape. That said, I do think prompt care of even small injuries is important. I'm just not sure if & how to raise it. My mom was with me when it happened (or when my son was talking about it) so I fear her reaction (kind of shocked) may be influencing mine. I don't shy away from discussing things with his teachers but I don't need to make an unnecessary fuss either!

Thanks!

#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What did he burn himself on?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

A toaster or toaster oven.

Tags
Montessori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page