Help with my 2-year-old please :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Help with my 2-year-old please :(

She is CRAZY bored! The only thing she seems to want to do is watch her ABC youtube videos, etc. I can't get her to run around outside with me or anything like that and when we're inside she will very occasionally occupy herself with a book or some other small thing, but within minutes she is super frustrated and practically climbing up the walls. We have been alternating care with her between us and my MIL in order to switch things up, which helps, but being at our home for more than two days and she is going nuts again. I just feel like I need to give her something to work on that keeps her interested but I can't think of a thing! She LOVES learning, so any suggestions of things that will help her learn or help her practice her motor skills, etc, I would be so grateful. I am new to this and starting to feel a bit lost and also guilty because these moments are so crucial for her and I feel like I am letting her stagnate .
#2 of 6 Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My partner's niece is about to turn 2 and at the moment she loves playing with bubbles outside and her wooden train track inside (of the Brio kind, but you can pick them up cheaply secondhand).

Maybe your little one would benefit from sensory stimulation play to keep her attention. There are loads of ideas in various blogs. I love The Imagination Tree site where you can search by type of activity and age: http://theimaginationtree.com/
Pinterest is also a good source of ideas: http://uk.pinterest.com/binspiredmam...deas-for-kids/

Does she like jigsaw puzzles (which increase fine motor and cognitive skills)? My son always loved playdough too. In the hot weather playing with ice is fun, like freezing plastic toys in a block of water and melting them out using salt and water.

If all else fails then going down to the play park usually helps children use up some energy!
#3 of 6 Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I googled some things and also am going through your awesome links and am finding tons of stuff to do. I just hope she actually likes them and gets our of her rut... We'll see .

I am leery of taking her to any parks because the last time we did she ran up to hug a little boy (she LOVES other kids and is a hugger) and he pushed her down, and when she got up he cold-cocked her in the face with a baby swing (you know, the heavy ones with metal all over them). She had a bloody lip and neither of us want to do parks with awful little children in them anymore. I scolded the 3-year-old boy as best I could, considering he wasn't mine and I know that yelling doesn't work, and he decided that I was the best thing in the world at that point. He had this look on his poor little face that said "Wow... someone is paying attention to me! Structure! I love it!" and he followed us everywhere and kept trying to be mean to my daughter so he could have my attention. It broke my heart and I would have adopted him right then and there and tried to raise him properly and with the love he so obviously didn't know or understand, but I know that wouldn't have flown over with the mom (where ever she was) so we left . So yeah, it was pretty much awful.

Church school seems to be fine because the parents there are on top of caring for their children and showing what is right and what is wrong behavior before it escalates so quickly, but that only comes once a week. The parks around here just have kids everywhere, from the ages of 1-20 running amok with zero supervision all day .

I just wish I could find something throughout the week where I could get her some socialization but not have to worry about her being abused because that is what she wants most; to be around other children and people.

Last edited by JadeCrusader; 06-26-2014 at 02:53 PM.
#4 of 6 Old 06-27-2014, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Poor little girl, and little boy. It is so painful to see children being neglected but be unable to do anything about it.

Have you tried any of your local toddler groups? At least then the parents are right there and can't let their kids run rampage.
#5 of 6 Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Parks are a rough crowd, and I liken them to dog parks where it's a lot of lazy parents looking for a was to offload the kids energy and not be involved. I know not everyone does that (I totally play with my 2.5yo at the park!) but that's been our experience. I had to travel around to find a park worthy of going to. Do you have local children's museums? Most are decently priced for little kids and many libraries offer up passes to check out, or you can often get a season pass that's good to multiple places. Our local museum is very small and small kid oriented, a lot of homeschooling moms and SAH mom's frequent it and the kids are very well socialized and behaved and my DD just loves it!
#6 of 6 Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 PM

My son is an active kid. Let's see, when my son was 2 we did these things:
- swimming was great because it requires so much energy both physical and mental, it always put him in a good mood so long as the water was warm
- bounce on trampolines (a little dangerous but if you follow the rules of only one at a time and she's always supervised etc then it's ok)
- ride bike (at 2 he had a Strider that was great)
- park (it's unfortunate the parks near you have so many unsupervised children. my experience is that parks are safer for little ones in the mornings before the big kids invade the parks)
- crafts, if they're structured and I participated 100% then they were great
- dance party, just put the music on and move
- sign language classes
- tumbling, yoga, dance mini classes
- reading, lots of reading to him, pointing at words and pictures, asking questions
- legos and blocks, trains and cars
- pushing a doll or teddy bear around in a stroller (that's how I could walk the dogs sometimes, he'd come along pushing a kid size stroller with a teddy bear in it)
- cooking and baking (ask toddlers to help out here and then in easy ways, give them a little busy work too)
- chalk drawings on sidewalk, water painting on driveway, etc
- dress up (dinosaur, knight, princess, cheetah, etc)
- living room fort with pillows and sheets
And lots more... hope that gives you some ideas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page