year round school for montessori? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile year round school for montessori?

Hello I have a child who attends our Montessori school. She will be in first grade this year. Our other child just finished 6th grade there and will be attending a local middle school. My problem I need help with is the Montessori school (a charter) is thinking of starting a year round calender. None of the other schools in our district have this schedule.
If they do this the next 6 years of our childrens schedules will be completely different. I feel that this is not needed and children do need a summer. Let me add that we live in Northeast Wisconsin so the weather is only good for half of the year. If you have any opinions or input I would greatly appriciate it. I am on a commitee trying to decide if this would benefit our children. Everything I am finding is saying that all the findings are inconlcusive. Thanks for any opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old Today, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have an answer to the pros or cons, but I know my daughter's Montessori Charter school is contemplating the year round program as well. We are the Western Edge of WI. Wouldn't go into effect until the 2016-17 year when she will in theory be in the adolescent program in a different building. Our school district does have 1 school on the year-round program and it is now in it's 2nd year. The positive of the year round program is that they get 2 week breaks through out the school year instead of one big chunk off in the middle. They have the year round school set up with morning enrichment activities on the off week (except when the rest of the district is out) which helps for those who need to deal with child care issues. I'm not opposed to it if the school is air conditioned so summer classes are not miserably hot. My daughters school is in a brand new building, so that should not be an issue.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page