would it be horrible for us not to finish primary years at montessori school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-27-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
long title!

ok, i'll do my question first, and then explain.

question: i have read that children who do montessori schooling in the primary years have the greatest benefits if they finish out primary by going through the kindergarten year. for several reasons listed below we're thinking about not putting him there for K. would we be throwing away 2.5 years in montessori by not putting him there in K (ok, horrible wording...of course he has benefited...but do you know what i mean?)?

ds has been going to a montessori school since he was 2.5. he is 4 and will go until he is almost 5, and then kindergarten is the next year. we had assumed that we would send him there for k.

but here's the deal:
1) the school has changed a lot since we started there. it is still a good school, but we don't like it as much as we used to. his guide is very nice, but she is new to the school and we aren't as impressed by her or her style as we were with his previous guide. this is who he would have until he finishes there. it's not that we dislike her though. but, it's difficult to appreciate paying $500 a month for a half day program when you're not thrilled with it, yk? (i should add that we're a one income family, and that income comes from my ph.d student husband).

2)financial reasons (i'd be lying if i didn't say so) that i listed above.

3)he only goes half a day and they have a lot of outdoor time, a circle time for songs, and one work period. if i kept him till 2:30, he could get a second work period. i'm concerned that he's not getting enough of work time, but at the same time i don't have a desire to keep him later for some reason.

crazy post...i'm really tired. but mr. mamaley and i could really use some advice on this. thanks.
#2 of 4 Old 09-29-2004, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
oh dear, mamaley, when we created the subforums I was a little worried that members wouldn't look in here for new posts. Seems that that is true! I am going to copy your post to the main area and see if it gets some attention. It will remain in here as well.

#3 of 4 Old 09-29-2004, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lauren
#4 of 4 Old 11-26-2004, 06:58 PM

Through reading some of the other threads on Montessori, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Fortunately, I'm happy with ours. I don't think it would be a problem to move your little one to a diffierent school. There are different methods of learning and it's O.K. for yours to learn other methods. Kids are very adaptable. If you're not comfortable there, then I suggest you move.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page