montessori mamas: do you have manipulatives at home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-28-2004, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if so, which ones? would you recommend having them in the home?
#2 of 5 Old 10-14-2004, 02:56 AM

I have the sand paper letters, different size pitchers/cups for pouring different size items-we started with pompoms in measuring cups then gradually went with smaller items to water...
We also have a peg board, large size tweezers for picking up things, the large thumb tacks for "punching" outlines and a few Montessori type cooperative games.
Most things we have are household items but a few like the sandpaper letters I had to buy.
I only have 1 or 2 "lessons" out at a time which is good I think.
Ann

I also have my kids (ages 3 and 5) help with daily chores like unloading the dishwasher, sweeping up their messes with a small hand held broom/dustpan, put clothes away, and wipe up the table. These are all montessori encouraged "lessons" but I'd do it regardless!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#3 of 5 Old 11-08-2004, 04:17 AM
e&r

We have a school at our house (in a room attached to our home) so we have a full Children' House full of materials.

How old are your children? I would concentrate on practical life activities for young ones (our son is 2) and some of the things mentioned above.
Ellen
#4 of 5 Old 11-18-2004, 12:04 PM

My daughter is 3.5 and in a Montessori school (mornings only). The focus for her age group seems to be practical living, which she is very drawn to. It seems to me that at home we don't need to get anything special to "do" practical living. That's all we do at home! She can go in the cupboard and grab a washcloth, wet it, and wipe down the counter. That's practical living - and very helpful! She can peel potatoes and carrots and cucumbers. Again - practical living and helpful. I didn't need to purchase any special washcloth or peelers or anything.

That said, for Christmas she is getting two "proper" Montessori items that she just loves: the exact same wooden bowl that they store beads in and the exact same little piece of pink flannel for polishing. It's costing us about $5 and I know she'll love to have a piece of school at home.

Rather than thinking about what you can "get" to make your home more Montessori, just think about how you can prepare your home to be more welcoming to your children and to make learning more present and available. We bought 4 wooden step stools so that she can do all kinds of things by herself. We moved some of her favorites to the bottom of the refrigerator and pantry sot hat she can get it herself. Things like that make a big difference!
#5 of 5 Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 AM

Ohh, I love Montessori!

At home I try to have something in every room for all of the kids, ages 1-6, can engage in and appreciate. Artwork and photos are hung at their eye level. Natural artifacts are arranged on our shelves and tables for them. There is a kitchen cabinet with utensils, dishes, and clean-up supplies that they can reach. Rather than turning the home into a classroom, things that interest children are part of the layout and decor.

We bought the marble job for Ds when he turned 4. It was a bit too soon at the time, he enjoys it now.

All of the kids like to stack the wooden cube tower at home.

I like to buy child-sized dishes and utensils. A few that the kids love are: wooden rolling pin, serving tongs, serving trays, china plates & teacups, ceramic teapot, hand broom & dust pan, water pitcher, assorted placemats, linens, & napkin rings.

I put together a collection of interesting small tins, empty lip gloss containers, assorted types of coin purses, small cloth bags, (and other little items which entice small hands to practice zipping, snapping, unscrewing, lacing , etc.)

Sewing items are great to have. Keep it all in a small tote or purse and you can take the sewing job with you.

I hope you find some of this useful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page