ANy Montessori AMS teachers out there?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-29-2004, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting training beginning next summer and would like to chat with someone about their experience. Please respond here , pm or email me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-03-2004, 05:53 AM
e&r

I'm an AMI teacher with training from 2+ to 6 years old and 6 to 12 years old.

I've taught both levels and currently have a new Children's House with 3 and 4 year olds (and growing) and a homeschool support program for 6 to 12 year olds.

Where will you be doing your training?

Good luck!
Ellen
#3 of 4 Old 11-03-2004, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I am training with NE Montessori institure. They have an initial 5 week summer session....3 weekend during the chool year and a 2 week wrap up. Internship is 4 hours a day. I am trying to decide if I should do all the academics first and then follow w/the internship. I am concerned about the intensity while also taking care of my children who will be 2 1/2 and 5. I don't really understand the "making your book" thing and how much time that will take. Can you give some insight?
#4 of 4 Old 11-17-2004, 05:41 AM
e&r

AMI training is structured a bit differently, but perhaps this description will be somewhat relevant.

My training was a full academic year (August through the end of May) in the evenings (I can't remember the times, perhaps 6 - 10pm?) during the week. I think that it was four days per week, and every other Saturday all day. This was almost 13 years ago, so I may be a bit off on this.

We did several weeks of observations, a hundred and something hours I think - I can't remember exactly, and then several weeks of internship in three (maybe two, but I'm pretty sure three) different locations each. (perhaps three to four weeks each of three internships?)

We had to write our own albums (books with the presentations we offer the children as well as theory) in each subject area. The teacher trainers give the lectures and present the materials, we take notes and practice the presentations with each other, and then write up the presentations and submit them to be checked before they go into our album. The idea is that if you write it yourself you will remember it better, rather than giving out copies of the presentations directly to us. We also had to illustrate each activity. It was a lot of work, but worth it. I love my albums and treasure them and use them all of the time.

I have many albums from the primary (2 - 6+ years) training:
Exercises of Practical Life
Language
Mathematics
Sensorial
Cultural (includes art, music, geography, biology)
Theory

I think that these albums are what is meant by "making your book" but maybe not.

We also had to make some classroom materials.

At the end we had written and oral exams.

It was a lot of work and I admired the people in my training who had children and still managed to get the work done, no easy feat!

Good luck! I'd love to hear how it is going!
Ellen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page