Could Montessori NOT work for certain kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 yr old who's been attending a Montessori pre-school for a year now. DS#2 is TOTALLY different from his brother. I know there is certain structure involved in every activity, but to a certain extent the kid has a lot of flexibility, which is a good thing, but sometimes I wonder...does *he* (my oldest) need a little bit more structure? Of course he does at home, but maybe in some ways it's contradictory for him (I hope not), but I'm not 100% convinced by the system. The reason he's staying there for another year is because he's REALLY-REALLY happy there. I keep wondering if it would be the right call for my second child. How to decide though? I might visit some other schools around, that way I can compare.
#2 of 3 Old 11-16-2004, 09:26 PM

Hi,

I have read in another thread on this forum about personality fits for montessori. You can browse down and read it too.

The reason i choose Montessori is because it gives the child a good sense of choice in a structured environment. I think too much of choice or too much of structure may cause some confusion for an average young kid. But an even more important reason i am sending my son to Montessori and will be sending my daughter as well is because the teachers show great respect to the child even when they need some correction in social situations. they are not timed out or harshly reprimanded. I think that to me is very important. I have to agree that the exact level of implementing this philosophy also depends on the teacher in the classroom. My son has been to 2 Montessori schools so far. While the first one was better compared to some other traditional pre-schools, the teachers still put the children in isolation (especially older ones) when the kid repeatedly made some bad choices. Also, this school, in the preschool class encouraged the kids to work in silence during their work time. My son is a more social person and they were saying that he will not thrive in Montessori. It turned out to be a misjudgement. He is doing very well in this current school. It is a wonderful school with wonderful teachers and i learn a lot from them too.

I am sure there may be some personality types that may not enjoy Montessori but
i believe that every kid will appreciate being treated with respect for whatever they are and that is one of the important aspects of Montessori.

Peace & Love!
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2004, 04:26 AM
e&r

It is hard to know how to answer without knowing more specifically your concerns. I have included a link to my website describing what a typical day should look like in a Children's House.
A typical day in the Children's House
Are you worried that he is not focussed? What type of activities does he do? What do his teachers say about him?

Good luck and let me know if I can help!
Ellen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page