is there a resource that lists montessori schools? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-08-2005, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am searching for a new school in Phil/ Chester / Monco area. there is one 1/2 hr away, but we probably can't afford it. (PA)
Would getting my accredation and using materials at home be benificial? not nearly as good as being in the classroom. However, I wonder how credible some of the montessori teacher training programs are.

I have filed information about several schools and visited many of then last year, most weren't "true" montessori.

I found two more advertised in the paper and the fall school section , however those were also "montessori based" with questionable montessori programs.

Is there a resource ( other than AMI site) that lists/ rates montessori schools?
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 02-08-2005, 07:50 AM
try with link
#3 of 4 Old 02-08-2005, 08:04 PM
The North American Montessori Teachers Association has a list of schools, though anybody can just list their schools there. Another good way to find a school in your area would be to call the nearest AMI training center to you (which, I believe, would be in Baltimore) and ask for schools in the area where graduates might be teaching. The AMI website will have a link to the Washington Montessori Institute at Loyola College in Baltimore.

As for teacher training - perhaps I am biased, but I looked around for two years (I was willing to move anywhere) to take teacher training. If you will, perhaps, never teach beyond your own children it will not be so critical, but if you want to be able to get a job somewhere else someday (perhaps when your children are older or grown) then consider AMI training. There are so many good trainers, and it is the most widely accepted teacher training. You can really go all over the US and all over the world with it.

Good luck with your search!
#4 of 4 Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 AM
Here's the list from theAmerican Montessori Society (AMS) . These are the certified schools in PA. I know that in our area, most of the Montessori schools are not certified, but some of them seem quite good regardless.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page