Taking the Montessori Plunge ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-14-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well we are doing it .... I am putting my son in it after much much thought i know it is what is best and we happened to stumble in at the right time .... I am nervous about it ... not because i know it is not right but because it is pricey and i feel like i am abandoning his other school but after talking to DH he says his other school is abandoning us with the lack of knowing what direction they are going to take for next year (god I love that man he knows how to put thing at the perfect time )

So he starts TODAY ... this was a very last minute choice and i talked with DS all day yesterday about it and told him he was going to a new school (he is a lil over 3.5) and i think he gets it. I am so nervous for him but i know he will adjust ..

After touring their school ... I just LOVE it love it love it ... i went to one as a child but it was only for a year and while i remember being there i dont remember all the details except they had a hampster named Toby ... lol ... but my mom always talked highly about it and upon entering public school myself they wanted my mom to put me directly in 1st grade and skip kindergarten but she did not do it ... Anyway can you tell i am a nervous wreck? I feel like it is the 1st day of school for him ever ... I am just nervous... will he fit in? will he benefit? will he be upset there is not a "playground" as he knows a playground? will he be picked on or just fit right in? will he hate it and want to go back to his other school (which i have not mentioned to them yet he is leaving) ? ahhhhh well thanks for letting me post this here ... really it is all about me and my nervousness for him ...

Thanks ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 PM

Awww! I am feeling your anxiety through the screen!

My ds has been in Montessori for 6 years- He just turned 8. This is the 2nd year for my dd. SHe is the same age as your ds- will be 4 in May.

The primary classroom is so appealing to children, so many things right there for them to touch, examine! And because of the community feeling the teachers provide, they will definately make him feel right at home, as will the other kids.

How long will he be there today? I would say "enjoy your quiet time" but I know that will be impossible for you today! Maybe tomorrow, though!

He's gonna be so excited to tell you all about his new school!
#3 of 9 Old 03-14-2005, 01:27 PM

That's exciting, I hope he will love it as much as you do. I'm having the same kind of anxiety about sending my DD to a Montessori school this fall (she's 3 1/2), possibly the summer camp they offer as well, but not sure yet. I have fears that she won't like it, will miss her friends, and have difficulty making new friends, because she's been in daycare since she was 3 months old due to my DH and I having to both work full time. What was the deciding factor for you? I'm still on the fence, so I'm interested to know how your DS handles the adjustment. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

TIA
#4 of 9 Old 03-14-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

He loved it ... ahhh ... what a relief ... He told me all about his day and the pets and everything ... oh i was thrilled ... when i asked him if he would like to go back to this school he said yes ... I dont know how much he gets but the teachers said he was no problem and that all the teachers just fell in love with him and his charm ... ahhh he can turn it on when he wants i tell ya ... anyway i think this school will be a keeper for him .... thanks ladies for the support ...
#5 of 9 Old 03-15-2005, 03:48 PM

I'm so glad it went well!
#6 of 9 Old 03-17-2005, 11:55 AM

Melda - Where in Central Florida are you? What school? We're in Lakeland and Emma's at Lakeland Montessori Schoolhouse. Love it!
#7 of 9 Old 03-18-2005, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

I am in Volusia County .. he is in Casa Montessori ...
#8 of 9 Old 03-18-2005, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgyveggie
Awww! I am feeling your anxiety through the screen!

My ds has been in Montessori for 6 years- !
edgyveggy - My dd is entering a 3-6 class this April. We are considering letting her continue till 8th grade if all goes well. Can you tell me about your experiences with the next level 6-9 class?
Thanks
#9 of 9 Old 04-03-2005, 04:50 AM

My girls have attended Montessori since K. They had no problems leaving preschool and changing schools, most of the kids from preschool went to the public school up the street. They were sad for a minute. They are currently in 4th grade, but skipped 3rd. They are working at a 5th grade level and will stay until 8th grade. They love school in a way that their father and I never did....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page