Montessori and ADD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-18-2005, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can these two go hand in hand?
Am I setting my dd up for distaser if I put her in a montessori?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-20-2005, 04:10 AM

I know it is not the same as ADD but my son has sensory integration issues.
In the Waldorf school he was in he could not focus in the 1st grade classroom because he was over stimulated. They (the Waldorf school teachers) saw this as a sign of immaturity and put him back in Kindergarten. Back in Kindergarten he just got wild and disruptive. Since then I put him in a Montessori school and I wish I had done so from the start! He can indeed focus because the atmosphere is both stimulating so it keeps his attention and the hands on materials are calming for him. I have members on this forum to thank for encouraging me to make the change
Lorraine
#3 of 6 Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 PM

I refuse to admit my daughter has ADD, but others might say "yes". She's just very curious and active!!! She's 5 1/2 and we have her in preschool.

Anyway, we had the same concerns as you. We decided to give it a trial period this year, and she's doing very well, and we're continuing with Kindergarten Montessori next year. She's only been in the program for 6 weeks, but she's adjusting very well. It's great because they're not expected to sit at a desk for hours on end. Her class goes on many fieldtrips and plants veggies and flowers in the garden. Things that are really up her alley, and educational too. Sitting in a desk isn't all it's cracked up to be....

Carole
:
#4 of 6 Old 04-26-2005, 09:36 AM

We have a little guy who just turned four and has sensory integration issues. We are living in London until Spring of 2006. When we return to the States, our son will be 5+. Is this too late to start Montessori? I looked into Montessori here, but they want to start kids at age 3 and 4 is considered too late. Any thoughts?
#5 of 6 Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM

I think the sooner you can start them, the better. I'm starting my second DD at three. My oldest just started at 5 1/2. But, she's a late bloomer, and we didn't start her in Kindergarten this year. So, she's really like a 4 1/2 year old and will have 1/2 a year of Montessori preschool before Montessori Kindergarten next year.

Carole
#6 of 6 Old 04-27-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6
We have a little guy who just turned four and has sensory integration issues. We are living in London until Spring of 2006. When we return to the States, our son will be 5+. Is this too late to start Montessori? I looked into Montessori here, but they want to start kids at age 3 and 4 is considered too late. Any thoughts?
My son just started 7 and I just put him in a Montessori school last week. They accepted us because it is a new school so they don't have allot of students yet.
We are moving this Summer and one of the Montessori Schools I wrote to in the city we are moving to answered saying they don't accept "older" children, only those who have attended a Montessori pre school. Fortunately we found another school that will accept him.

Although the schools may prefer children who have attended a Montessori preschool, I think the children will always benefit from the school even if they are past preschool age.
Lorraine

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page