can anyone address the 5 day/week Mont. effect on ap 3yr old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are attached parents of a 3 year old and 1 year old and our sons go to bed when we do. I would love for my older son to have the Montessori experience but all three of the schools in the area require a minimum of 5 mornings a week attendence. I'm worried that getting two boys up for a 7:30 drop off would be unrealistic in our laid back, nurse-in-bed-until-everyone's-awake around 10:00 family. Has anyone else had any experience with this?
#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2005, 04:28 PM

My 3 yo dd attends M-school two days a week now and will be three days in the fall. They would like the kiddies of course to do 5day all day, but that was not for us. I think that is too much for a three year old. We do half days.

Ditto on the morning routine. Usually my dd does not rise and shine till 8-8:30, so what I do is pack up the car with her clothing and all and in the morning I put her in the carseat in her pajamas. She continues sleeping for the 50 min drive to school. She then wakes up refreshed and ready to go. We dress in the car, I even have a portable potty. After the first two days, she got used to it and likes the routine.
First of all, I definately would check why you have to be there by 7:30am, that seems very early. Yes the school may be open by 7am for drop offs and those parents who need to get to work.....but the actual "school time" "program time" may not start for an hour later. Ask to see the "Schedule of the Day".......I would check to see how long the "drop off period" is. Usually they like all the kids to be there by morning line time.
As for the 5 days a week.......that is not usually "required" till kindergarten (5yo). And alot of parents have problems with that, as they would like to see half-day kindergarten as well.
Once again it is recommended five days week for all age groups, but you have to do what you feel is best.
Unless this school has a long waiting list, strict attendance demands, you probably have some flexibility. You just need to ask/insist on it.

Now having said all that...........remember kids are more flexible and adaptable than us adults. After a few days, if there are no major outburst or continuing negative behaviours they will probably adjust well to what ever schedule you choose to use. I had to remind myself of that, because my dd will have to attend 5 days a week for half days for six weeks this summer. I was in a panic over that, but it is a must. My DH adjusted his schedule so she would not have to stay all day, so it was bit of a help. She really needs that nap in the afternnoon and I would hate to have to pay someone while she is napping. I keep telling myself it is only six weeks and it is summer fun!

Another, positive......your ds will love going to M-school !
#3 of 8 Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 AM

I will start off with every child is different but they are very flexible too!
My daughter attends a Mont. School 4 days a week full days and has since she was 3 yrs. old (she is now 4 1/2) She LOVES it! And Thrives there!

The great thing about her school is that it's small and very flexable to the children. If she is ever tired or feeling overloaded by the day she can lay down or take a nap on the mats. (because her school takes children starting at 2 1/2, she can decompress at nap time with the younger children) All the children in her age ranges know that they can take a break if they need to. They all have a pillow and blanket that stays at the school that they bring from home, so it's a bit of home.

I was a bit concerend about the all day thing at such a young age but I'm a single mom and she has to be somewhere while I'm at work. The Mont. school is a great place that really cares about her, not just what she learns. I just can't say enough about how great her school is. But check around, drop in a few times at different times she how the teachers are and ask any of the parents (at pick up time) see how they feel about the place. Her school is like a family, a home away from home.

Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome Charron8!

#5 of 8 Old 05-08-2005, 01:51 AM

you could always do montessori at home.
#6 of 8 Old 07-13-2005, 11:54 PM

Do they insist that your child actually attend 5 days a week, or do they only have PAYMENT options of 5 days a week? If you wanted to, I can't imagine they'd give you too much of a hard time if you only actually sent your child say 3 days a week, as long as you were paying full tuition.
#7 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 06:51 PM

I’m sorry to hear that all the M schools in your area insist on 5 days a week (not just payment, but attendance). The AMS certified school in our area insists on 5 days, as well (although they do have half-day programs). We weren’t comfortable with having our son go for 5 days at his age (he started a little after his 2nd birthday), so we found another M school for him to go to 3 days a week. This school is not AMI or AMS certified, and probably wouldn’t meet with the approval of M purists, but it works for us. We will probably switch him over to the AMS school when he is older.

Are there some other school options in your area that might not be fully M, but that could meet your family’s needs better right now?
#8 of 8 Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 AM

Update..DD did very well in the Summer program at M-school. It relieve some of my anxiety very much. I knew at the first sign of any "I don''t want to be there" symptoms we were DONE...but they did not materialize. She went half day 5 days a week. I am taking the AMS certification course and will be doing my practicum year. After all the reading I do see also why daily is recommended. In fact way back the kids were "in school" all day, at least 10 hours, but it was a different setting, different needs etc etc. Not necessary in this day and age. That was during wartime etc.

I do have the option of 3 day or 4 day. My best advice is to observe and know your child. And give it a try if you like. Maybe your school will let you pay for one month at 5 days a week if you want to start at 3 days and increase if he does well. Always start at the less days, as most private schools will charge you when you want to decrease days.

Also consider you reasons for wanting your child to be in preschool. Early education, socialization, need for more activity, appears ready etc. Take those into consideration as well.

Also Montessori starts the 3-6 program at age 2 1/2 to age 6. If you want your child to have the "full" montessori experience, start as soon as they are ready. Children who enter at late 4, 5 , or 6 will not show the same gains as those who started at age 3 or early 4.

Best advice, trust your instinct and follow your child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page