Tell a teacher what you want! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-12-2005, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
As a montessori preschool guide (aka teacher) ages 3-6, i am am interested in what parents would say if given an open forum. Please give me your ideas, advice, comments or suggestions or opinions related to the motessori preschool classroom.
Many thanks for your time!
#2 of 4 Old 06-13-2005, 01:12 AM

Okay!

The one thing that I think a lot of Montessori programs get wrong is the independence thing. So many that I visited before I found this one seemed to push independence in every area, on every child.

My reading of Montessori theory (and I'm so not an expert, but this is what I get) is that children become independent naturally, and on their own timetable, with the right structures in place.

Kaly
#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2005, 07:51 PM

For me personally, these have been sticky points (and I was Montessori-schooled as well):

*Parent community. Because Montessori often discourages parents in the classroom - and I completely understand the philosophy - parents would still like a way to be involved in the school, not just annually at the auction or whatever fundraiser is going on. We want to meet each other, help make materials, and truly create a learning community, etc etc.

*Explaining Montessori teachings at a laymans terms. A lot of the terminology is somewhat obscure to parents (i.e. "normalized") and needs to be translated. I do understand, but most I would say at my daughter's ex-school do not. The writing and reading philosophy for example, is very in tune with modern child-led learning (i.e. writing before reading, reading based on phonemic awareness), but is still explained in terminology that can be very frustrating to hear due to the somewhat old-fashioned nature.

*Emphasizing the social skills that children are gaining in the classroom. Sometimes the teacher or method can come off as very brusque, or individualism to the exclusion of social awareness and responsibility. It shouldn't seem like the Ayn Rand Preschool of Hard Knocks, because that's not what was intended - i.e. the way older children are encouraged to help younger, etc. But many parents get this impression in any case.

*Being flexible with the stages and progression. I do not think that children always progress through them the way as is taught in AMI/AMS training. Some kids (i.e. mine) will skip around. She read before she wrote. She likes fractions before adding four numbers. She hates almost all the sensory work, the red rods. She loves learning about space, even though this is typically not worked with until elementary stage. A little more following the lead, a little less trying to figure out where the child fits into the binder's prescription of the stages.

There are probably other things too, these are my issues that I think could be addressed and would make a Montessori school great.
#4 of 4 Old 06-13-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome feedback, women! I appreciate your views and will take this info and apply it directly to my practices.

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page