Snack at Montessori - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-02-2005, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does your child's montessori school do snack? How do you feel about it?

The one my child goes to has class snack which serves food that I am not ok with ds eating. I am happy to send snack every day with my child, however, the school does not want me to. They said I could bring in non-perishable food that they can keep there and put out for snack for ds. This is not working for ds. I am looking for ideas. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 09-02-2005, 05:51 PM

My daughter's school has a nutrition policy, so they don't allow anything with artificial colors, flavors, or added sugar (flavored non-colored yogurt is ok, nutrigrain bars are not, etc).

My daughter has food sensitivities and is on a rotation diet, so they take her snacks out of her lunch. It takes her forever to pick a snack, so we have to lable am snack and pm snack and put them in her lunchbox. One of the teachers wants a list of her rotation so she can try to arrange the other kids having a snack that my daughter can eat.

Usually they have a carb and fruit or veggies, somtimes bagels with cream cheese. They also serve 100% juice (which my daughter isn't allowed) and water.
#3 of 14 Old 09-02-2005, 07:04 PM

My ds's Montessori preschool send us home w/a snack calender. Each child is in charge of bringing a pre-determined snack once/twice a month. It's things like apples, applesauce, animal crackers, yogurt, milk, juice. Pretty much all healthy. The kids can bring a special treat for birthdays, but it doesn't replace their usual healthy snack. Most dc that go to his preschool shop our local health food store anyway (small, rural area) so I'm not too worried.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#4 of 14 Old 09-03-2005, 02:34 AM

I've been at two different montessori schools. At both, the children make their own snack from the choices available (i.e. celery with cream cheese and raisins; bagels and peanut butter, cut apples and cinnamon, etc) whenever they are hungry. At both schools, there was a nutrition policy like others have pointed out, where they asked parents (if it was your week) to bring foods with vegetarian protein, breads, veggies, and fruit. No sugary stuff or easily defined as "junk foods," such as cookies, go-gurts, candy, etc that make the kids hyper and/or tired.

If her school served junky snack, I would be pretty annoyed and insist she had food sensitivities to junky snacks (i.e. red dye number 5, etc). Although who wouldn't want to make their own snack out of doritos ranch chips, oreos, cheez whiz, and maybe a nice Hi-C to wash it all down? Yum.
#5 of 14 Old 09-03-2005, 12:51 PM

At Emma's school, we take turns bringing in the snack. We have a list of allowed and forbidden items. The snacks are set up in a little alcove. It's a lesson, just like anything else in the room. They don't all eat at once - just 2 at a time. They put on the snack necklace and prepare their snack. The only drink is water.
#6 of 14 Old 09-04-2005, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Snack time at my sons school is prepared by the child when/if they feel like snacking.

The parents are assigned to bring in snack for the class - apples, cheese, bagels (the teachers recommendations/suggestions).

His school discourages soda, sugary stuff etc.

My sons first day is next week, so I dont have real experience yet.

Sara

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#7 of 14 Old 09-05-2005, 06:28 PM

In my dd 3-6 class each parent is placed on a schedule to bring snack. It has to be fruit or veggies only. The always have cheerios and raisins on hand. In encouraging independence the children can serve themselves when they are hungry, three seated at the table only at one time. Teacher refills the serving bowls as needed. At first I was concerned about all the kid using the snack area, but the are all taught the proper and hygenic way. As for diet restriction they are accomodating for whatever the child needs. It is best if you label your child's snack clearly.
By the way, they also try to regulate lunches with an no soda, no sugary snack etc policy. If you send it with the child, they will just place it back in the lunch box and send it home.
They have Pizza day once a week!
#8 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 01:36 AM

Our school sends home a snack calendar. They have one kind of snack per week. The first week was bananas, then celery and raisins, popcorn, apples, and crackers with apple butter. They always have saltine crackers. Water is the only drink.

The kids learn how to fix the snack at the beginning of the week, and it is available to them throughout the day. At one of their circle times, they share a snack together.

The first few days of school, ds wasn't ready for his breakfast before he left for school. So he spent a lot of time at the snack table! He would come home from school and tell me "I love their snacks!" At dismissal time, his teacher would comment on how much he enjoyed the snacks. But I think he is adjusting to the routine, and eats a sandwich in the car on the way to school now.

OT - I was just remembering the snacks *I* was served in preschool. Marshmallow fluff on graham crackers with Kool-Aid, peanut butter on graham crackers with Kool-Aid, animal crackers . . . Quality nutrition, huh??
#9 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom
OT - I was just remembering the snacks *I* was served in preschool. Marshmallow fluff on graham crackers with Kool-Aid, peanut butter on graham crackers with Kool-Aid, animal crackers . . . Quality nutrition, huh??
Ha. My friend is working at a school where the children receive two graham cracker rectangles (the little ones, not the big ones) for snack. The next day, four animal crackers. No seconds.

?!
#10 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom
They always have saltine crackers.
That's funny, because we were specifically told NOT to bring saltines since they are not made from whole grains. Why did they pick saltines?
#11 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
That's funny, because we were specifically told NOT to bring saltines since they are not made from whole grains. Why did they pick saltines?
I have no idea! I was wondering that myself. Something to ask about at the parents' meeting . . .
#12 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 12:52 PM

DS's school is peanut-free, so the school provides snack to reduce the likelihood of hidden nuts in snacks. A bowl of fresh fruit is always available, as is a jar of crackers (usually whole-grain, like graham crackers or Triscuits) and a pitcher of water. Sometimes the kids make themselves little sandwiches. There is a set time for AM snack and PM snack, but the kids choose what they want to eat and serve themselves.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#13 of 14 Old 09-17-2005, 01:51 AM

Our school always has Cheerios out. And then whatever the parent brings for the class snack.

I encourage you to visit your classrooms and view the snack area. The area should be for snack only, nothing "above" the snack for children to look at and discuss, like pictures, mobiles etc. Especially should not be sharing a shelf with work on it.

WHY? To reduce the level of expectorant deposited on the food. Trying to decreasethe level of conversation taking place "over the food". They can talk freely at the snack table.

Just a health note.
I like the idea of "serving your self" etc, but want to try to decrease the level of "germies".
#14 of 14 Old 09-18-2005, 04:27 PM

Our Montessori teacher sent home a very detailed list of EXACTLY what to buy, amount, size, etc, like 6 medium bananas, 12 apples, 2 16oz boxes of wheat thins, etc. I always liked that--no chance of junk. My ds isn't in Montessori anymore, but ds2 is getting close to an age, so I'm lurking. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page