Anyone use a floor bed instead of a crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-18-2006, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I have 4.5 month old twins, and we have been using floor beds (firm infant mattress in wooden frame) in their own room since birth. However, they are now reaching the age where they are starting to roll over and I am concerned about them rolling and hitting the floor.
I am wondering what anyone who has used floor beds does/did to prevent their baby from rolling out? I don't want to place pillows around the bed because of SIDS fears.
Thanks in advance.

ALSO - any tips on child-prrofing the baby room?
#2 of 8 Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Crisyn, you posted in the Montessori schooling section of Learning at School. Is that where you want to be? Do you want me to move your post to Nighttime Parenting or Childhood Years?

Lauren

#3 of 8 Old 01-18-2006, 05:42 PM

Some Montessori families use these beds, we never did. But the mattress is on the floor, right? Is it so bad if they roll off? A little bump...but you could also probably purchase bed rails (like, at Target) to put between the frame and the mattress?
#4 of 8 Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 PM

We have a matress on the floor and it has worked out pretty well. I always tried to center him in the middle of the mattress to lessen the chance of falling off. We also have carpet, so if he did fall off, it wasn't a big deal. Also, keep the bedding to a minimum - we just used a fitted sheet - I am also always paranoid of SIDS and never used pillows. When he was older and could crawl around, he often fell asleep on the floor and I would just move him back when I went to bed.
#5 of 8 Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 AM

We used a floor bed, no problem with falling over causing a serious injury as the bed was low to the floor. If you are really concerned, purchase a thin foam mat and place next to the bed. They are about one inch thick, and can be found in the camping department of any store. I will not slide around if you put part of it underneath the mattress.
If you have carpet this is not really necessary at all. We do not have carpet and this worked great.
Another idea is a yoga mat.
Another idea is use of firm bolsters to keep the babies (inside).
#6 of 8 Old 01-19-2006, 07:19 PM

If you have carpet or a rug underneath the floor beds then I think your twins will be fine. It's not a huge drop and I think after rolling off it a couple of times they will either figure out a way to do it without getting hurt or they will be a lot more aware of where the edge of the bed is and stay towards the middle. I would keep the room baby-proofed and if necessary a baby gate at the door so that once they are crawling you know they won't leave the safety of their room while you are sleeping

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 8 Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 AM

We use a floor bed, and our son is now 13 mos. He hated the crib with a passion so we dismantled it. He is Dr. Montessori's poster child.
#8 of 8 Old 01-25-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
He is Dr. Montessori's poster child.
That is sweet !! How so ??????

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page