Tell me about Montessori schools - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have heard a lot lately about Montessori schools (both good and bad), but I don't really know what it is or how it differs from regular schools. So if someone could answer my questions, that'd be great.

#1 - What grades does the school have. I assume there is a preschool program as well.

#2 - I've gotten the impression that it isn't a public school. If this is true, how expensive is it. Is this usually an option for areas that don't have great public schools, or do parents that have access to great public schools choose to send their kids to Montessori schools/

#3 - What is the whole idea behind it? Values, mission statement, thinking process, whatever you want to call it.

#4 - What is the am't and type of parent involvement in the school system

#5 - What are the pros vs. cons of Montessori. I assume most people in this forum do send their kids to montessori schools, but if you don't, why didn't you?

#6 - How do you know if this is the right type of schooling for your child.
#2 of 3 Old 03-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Many of the answers to your questions vary greatly depending on what's available in your area. I would suggest calling some M schools in your area and asking to observe a classroom and meet with a director to answer your questions.

There are some public Montessori schools throughout the US, BTW. Call your district to find out if there's one available for you.

To answer a few of the other questions, see the sticky at the top of this forum, it has websites for the national Montessori organizations.
#3 of 3 Old 03-19-2006, 03:08 AM

Highly reccomend looking online and picking up a book or two on Montessori Philosophy. Every classroom can be a little different personality. Find out the philosophy of the school and then sit in on a class as long as possible. A well run Montessori classroom is amazing to watch! There are Montessori websites online that will list accredited Montessori Schools in your area. There are Montessori programs in both public and private schools, as well as charter schools. Happy hunting. Montessori is a philosophy that I chose for both of my children and it has changed my life, and continues to change my life and inspire my parenting. Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page