Sponsorships for Teachers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-22-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it's specifically geared to Montessori.

I've noticed alot of Montessori schools offering sponsorships for their teachers... does anyone know if they have to be Montessori trained in the first place, or are they just recruiting new teachers.

I have my bachelors in Theatre and I would LOVE to teach in a Montessori school. I just really am confused on where to look.

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
#2 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 12:50 AM

Hi forbiddinpluto! I am curious about your screen name, is it something to do with the theatre? What a cool perspective to go into training from. The great thing about M is that you bring your own interests and style into the materials and lessons. You have the Bachelors so you can go into training and get a M.Ed. from Loyola in Baltimore (fabulous program/also M training center) all in one year! It's a big time committment, but well worth it. I was very thouroughly prepared from my training. Go AMI! I can recommend a few good trainers/training centers if you are interested. It continues to be a dynamic and creative practice, 8 years later. I came to M from Anthropology and Music. The music program is so incredible, children can learn perfict pitch at this age.
When I was young, I performed as TinyTim in the CHristmas Carol at our community theater (my one great performance). One of our exercise was leading one another around blindfolded. This is one of the integral practices in Children's House for developing social cohesion and sensitivity to sound. Maybe you will discover more connections with theater.
You may be interested in the elementary level as this involves the great lessons which are quite dramatic. In Primary it is helpful to have some entertaining skills at the beginning of the year. As the children become independent in the environment, they are the ones who become the act-ors and act-resses.
Check out the montessori-AMI.org site to get a list of all their training centers in the US and around the world, NAMTA has job listings. I've seen offers for sponsorship there. You might even contact a school that you are interested in working for and let the know you are looking for a school to sponsor you. This may also refer to the 4 week practice teaching phase of the training. There are so many expanding M communities in Florida, Illinois, California, Ohio, New York. Are you interested in a particular area? What about Thailand or Japan?
Good luck finding a school, keep us posted.

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats
#3 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 02:51 AM

I'm not sure about your specific situation but I'm guessing these schools are looking for people to send to training and will sponser you as it can be pricey.

I agree with Lilliana, I would go for AMI over AMS if that's an option and like she said since you already have a bachelor's degree you can get your masters thru loyola after completing your training... worth it as the course is *master's degree* level so you might as well get the actual degree.

I was working as an assistant in a Montessori school and they paid for my training (I attended The Montessori Institute in Denver) the only thing was that I had to sign a 3 yr contract saying I'd stay working for them... I ended up having my first child during that time and found a way to get out of it but had to pay back some of the money...

I do know that there was a teacher that was trained in elem ed and not montessori who was able to work as a teacher but they intended to eventually send her to training as it's near impossible to grasp all the concepts and exact "lessons" without training IMO.

Call around and see what they are offering, it might just be worth it. I have a feeling you will love Montessori.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillianna
Hi forbiddinpluto! I am curious about your screen name, is it something to do with the theatre? .
Hee hee... well, the cat's or dog, in this case, is out of the bag. ;P The past 7 years I've been working at Walt Disney World in the Entertainment Dept. My body size/style usually fluxuated aLOT so I would go in and out of being "friends" with Pluto. Therefore I was often a "forbidden pluto"! I loved my job there, but as soon as I had Lorelai the "lifestyle" just wasn't an option for me anymore. I used to LOVE the weeks where I was on the clock for 72 straight. Can't do that with a child. Won't do that with a child!

I'd LOVE to get my Masters, however, I'm afraid of the time commitment it would take. I've currently got a wonderful 14 month old and I don't want to take her Momma away from her during this crutial development period. That's one of the MANY reasons I was looking into Montessori. She can socialize and I can earn a living for us! Everybody wins!

I'm pretty open to location. Ideally I'd get to stay in Florida. My parents are here and are a wonderful support web for me. However, I've lived here all of my life so I'd like to have other options. In the past I've considered moving anywhere from basically the eastern sea coast to Colorado. If I can find a place that has the Assistants to Infancy program for Lorelai and will sponsor me then that's where I'd go! Also I've got to make enough $ to support my little family, so the cost of living in the area heavily factors in. Okay, enough rambling!

Thanks for the info!
#5 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 08:54 PM

Thanks for sharing about your 'alter-ego'...That's dog-gone funny. All the kids love Pluto!
The Master's isn't really a big time commitment - 3 weeks in Baltimore, then you have to turn in your thesis by the Fall. A couple women there had family style dorms and brought dad and baby. Just FYI.
It's great working as a teacher with children as you get to spend all holidays and breaks together. There is a fabulous M community in Fl I am sure you will find the right place. Nothing beats have Gram and Gramps nearby.
Good luck!

#6 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

SUCH a bad pun! ;P

I just sent off for information about Loyola. It seems like I have to be there alot longer than 3 weeks! Anyhoo! Thanks for the information!
#7 of 14 Old 04-24-2006, 01:56 AM

That is in addition to the 9 month training course.

#8 of 14 Old 04-24-2006, 02:03 AM

My understanding was that the classes thru loyola lasted about 6 weeks... The assistants to infancy course I attended was 3 months full time lectures/practicals (summer) and then 9 months intern (student teaching) and then another 3 months (the next summer) in training again. Plus 250 hrs of observation (ugh!!)

So after all this a few weeks at Loyola doesn't seem like too much

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 14 Old 04-24-2006, 02:10 AM

You're right Drummer's Wife, 6 weeks. I'm up too late-typing before thinking...
I just give in to easily to the power of suggestion! I got it right the first time
http://www.montessori-mia.org/masters.htm

#10 of 14 Old 04-29-2006, 07:45 PM

I have been looking into the Loyola program, and I think this needs clarification. The master's program is taken over the course of 3 (primary) or 4 (elementary) summers. And practical experience in between it sounds like. But there are opportunites for sponsorship, in fact, I'm looking into one right now
#11 of 14 Old 04-29-2006, 09:21 PM

I'm actually trying to research Montessori training for middle school. I'm a state certified teacher with an M.Ed, but I'm trying to figure out what I might need to get a job teaching middle school in a Montessori school. Does anyone know?

P.S. Pluto, I got my undergrad from Flagler College...I noticed the St.A in your signature!
#12 of 14 Old 04-30-2006, 12:12 AM

The montessori middle schools are developing from a framework that M left before passing on. Some of the teachers in our middle school have elementary training (the director) and some of the support teachers (math, science, french, latin, art) have no M training. I think I noticed a few ads for middle school teachers on the AMI website.
There is an adolescent program this summer (in OH). This is a great project. Really amazing to see.
http://montessori-namta.org/NAMTA/index.html

#13 of 14 Old 04-30-2006, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hey! I got my BA in Theater from Flagler! Graduated '02... I had a radio show on WFCF from 97-02.

*back to your regularly scheduled thread*

Does anyone one know about Loyola and their admission proceedures for Grad students with less than a 2.75 GPA... I haven't taken my GRE yet, but I'm an excellent test taker... maybe that will offset my horrific GPA. (I SO didn't care while I was in college.)
#14 of 14 Old 04-30-2006, 11:35 AM

Here's a link to their program.
http://graduate.loyola.edu/graduate/...du/montessori/

Am I correct in thinking that you're looking into the assistants to infancy course?

You might want to check out the AMI website to see who has the best training program for you.
http://www.montessori-ami.org/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page