Should we finish out the year? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2006, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dds' school has another month left in the academic year. I don't have any complaints about the school, but we'll be homeschooling next year instead of returning.

My dds are frequently unhappy about going to school, though they usually say they had fun when I pick them up. Should I make them go? We've paid for the remainder of the school year, so I wouldn't save any money by keeping them home. I expect they might like to go a few times a week if it were up to them. Especially at the end of the week, my younger dd (nearly 4 years old) makes fairly transparent claims of being sick or too tired to go to school. I've been making them go everyday, but I'm not sure why. They seem to spend their time there coloring, which they could easily do at home.

Thanks for some feedback!

ZM
#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2006, 02:30 PM

I'd give them a vacation for a set amount of time, say Wednesday-Sunday or even an entire week and then see if they're interested in returning. Maybe they just need a break. Otherwise, I don't think it's a great idea to keep pushing them when you're going to homeschool them anyway.
#3 of 6 Old 05-01-2006, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't see anything to be gained by making them go. If your 4 yo is complaining at the end of the week, maybe a full week is just too much.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 6 Old 05-01-2006, 04:40 PM

I agree with the PP's.
Personally, I would just keep him at home.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 6 Old 05-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma
I've been making them go everyday, but I'm not sure why.
Well, I know why - because it's so darned programmed into all of us. I always wished I had just pulled my son out to enjoy the spring days outside instead of keeping him in for the rest of the term after I knew we were going to be homeschooling in the fall. Why did I do that? Same thing, I guess - habit, programming, whatever...

Look beneath the box of articles on this page for links to websites that provide oodles of fun activities you can do with them that are apparently not going on at school:
preschool/kindergarten activities

Enjoy! Lillian
#6 of 6 Old 05-01-2006, 05:53 PM

I wouldn't finish if they're not loving it and you're going to be homeschooling anyway. We just took ds out of school (Waldorf-inspired charter), about 10 days ago. We've decided to unschool, so there's no point in him being in school. He's very happy to be done with school, and I love not having the morning rush and 30 minute drive. He was happy for much of the year, but had become bored and reluctant to go most days. He doesn't miss school at all, and hasn't even hinted at wanting to go back.

I'd also directly ask your dd's directly if they want to just stop going to school. DS was very clear when we asked him what he wanted.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page