Montessori upper El - I know they are smart, but yikes! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-19-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just got our girls' final grade reports for this year. They are at a public M so standardized tests are part of the program. Our dd2 (4th year) tested out at an 8th grade level this fall and on the spring test she ended up post-high school: Our dd1 (5th year) started the year testing at a 10th grade level and also scored post-high school in the spring. This was for language arts/vocab/writing. In math they ended up being a couple of levels above their actual grade, so none to shabby there either. When I first put them into Montessori many people told me they would fall behind due to the lack of structure and discipline, guess they couldn't have been more wrong
#2 of 7 Old 05-19-2006, 06:49 PM

That's great! I'm not surprised that they excelled so much! That's so wonderful to hear how well they did lack of structure and discipline?? not IMO, it's perfectly tailored around the needs of the children.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 7 Old 05-21-2006, 12:18 AM

Wow! Your children's success just goes to show how children can learn much more than what is "standard" given the right environment. Learning at your own pace and about something that you are interested in and choosing whom to collaborate with are vastly different from constantly being compared to others, put on the spot, tested, overloaded and made to sit still all day. You can create your own "structure" and learn to be self-disciplined which really is a valuable skill to learn.
I just went to a presentation about the Flow theory and Montessori, by Kevin Rathunde. His data shows that Montessori allows children to excell not only academically but socially and physically as well. He's research compares Montessori to traditional Middle Schools.
I recently met a woman who runs an arts program and dance/movement summer camp. They recently began to include "interdisciplinary" courses such as science and math. There are alot of interesting things to learn about our world. Why wouldn't they want to learn?

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats
#4 of 7 Old 05-21-2006, 01:49 AM

That's so wonderful! I bet your children are so proud of themselves!

My DS is entering Lower El in the Fall, and I am so excited for him. He has done so well in Children's House, but I think he is really going to blossom in LE. I can't wait!
#5 of 7 Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
lack of structure and discipline??
My experience with Montessori is anything but a lack of structure and discipline. Just because the children are not doing all lessons in a corporate way does not mean the lessons lack structure and discipline. Sheesh!
#6 of 7 Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Lillianna]I just went to a presentation about the Flow theory and Montessori, by Kevin Rathunde. His data shows that Montessori allows children to excell not only academically but socially and physically as well. He's research compares Montessori to traditional Middle Schools.
[Quote]

Ooooo, off to google him, sounds very interesting.
#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2006, 11:44 PM

that is soooo cool.

my dd is starting a charter school montesorri program in the fall..she'll be in first grade. she's been at a private montessori preschool and kgarten and has learned sooo much more than traditional kgarten~ it's amazing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page