Any Montessori Elementary Homeschoolers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-03-2006, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, so we're homeschooling next year it looks like, as her school is too expensive and we didn't get into our local alternative school.

If anyone is homeschooling for elementary, please either PM me or write back to this thread. I am hoping to pick your brain a bit. My mother is an elementary M teacher and will be doing the "Great Lessons" with my daughter when she's visiting this summer and can also photocopy some of her albums for me, but other than that I'm on my own! Aigh. I think we'll probably do a lot of unschooling, as she's an avid learner when left to her own devices; and then if she's interested, we will use MM for "teaching" things she's interested in (i.e. grammar or multiplication or writing reports, using the dictionary, geology, etc).

I've found a few sources for albums online as well, and if anyone has any feedback about either the R&D albums, Montessori World Education Institute albums, or the NAMC albums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Did you cross post this in the Learning at Home forum?

#3 of 6 Old 06-03-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I did, but without all the specifics regarding albums and Great Lessons and etc (which I assume previously-experienced Montessori parents would know more about)
#4 of 6 Old 06-05-2006, 09:18 PM

I responded to your other post, I'll also be hs'ing because dd didn't get into the montessori charter and we cannot afford her old school.

Where did you find online albums? I honestly wish I could take the 6-9 training just to hs my kids but cannot afford it and don't have the time anyways!

That's great that you have your mom to help, what a wonderul resource.

I'm hoping to combine unschooling with as much Montessori as possible, surprisingly it seems like it may work.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks drummer's wife. It will be cool if there's someone else here also interested!

I have looked at the online albums at http://www.moteaco.com/albums.html
but they don't have pictures and it's hard to imagine some of the information without pictures. I would rather buy an album so I know what the materials should look like, and more specific scripts if necessary.

My mother suggested mail training through the Montessori World Institute, where she got her initial training 25+ years ago, through Mrs Margaret Homfray (I guess Homfray knew Montessori in the Way Back Years). It's sort of expensive, but you can do just sections at a time, i.e. just math, so it is cool. I know mail training is not the real deal, but it's probably better than nothing.

Yes, it seems that unschooling could combine well, particularly if I limit or ban the TV and computer. She usually gets bored enough to start wanting to learn about things and is interested in many unique topics. I like the "playing games" approach of unschooling. I don't think we will be radical unschoolers though - we will probably also supplement with classes in the community or one-on-one lessons with some of my friends (I've got me an artist friend!).
#6 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the link, I've been looking thru it. Distance learning is actually a good idea for homeschooling... I never considered it before when I planned to work in a classroom but It would def give me more info as far as Montessori for my own children.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page