Mothering Forum banner

Transitioning 2 yo to preschool

563 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TudoBem 
#1 ·
How do you recommend that I transition my 2 yo to preschool? We're looking at a Montessori program for 2 yo's that will be 2 mornings a week. He's never been away from us so I want the transition to go as smoothly as possible.
the teacher I spoke with said that we should just drop him off (even on the first day) and not linger, stay for a while, stay the whole time the first time, etc.
It seems to me that staying with him the first day until he's more comfortable would be a better idea.
What do you all think?

#2 ·
Have you and your child been to visit in this class together at all?

There is a new toddler program nextdoor to the class where I work. Those 2 year olds are so cute, and we used to think the 3s were little! I also help with drop off in the morning, so I have seen alot of different parents' strategies with separation. The parents who are having the easiest goodbyes are the ones who have gotten into the routine from day one. Children at this age are extremely sensitive to order. The children who are dropped off in the car line get out smiling and walk into the school on their own. I don't know what it is, but the ones whose parents are still walking them in still cry when the parent leaves?? You have to leave at some point so why not just get into the routine from the beginning? IME, this has the best results but it's hard to explain why.

#3 ·
That's interesting. Maybe it's because they're walking in themselves and they feel more autonomous and in control that way.
I'm leaning towards waiting until 2.5 for my son. I think his separation issues may be too great right now and I'm hoping the development at 2.5 could make things easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.