WWYD--TV in Afterschool Program for 3-6 yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just enrolled DS in an AMI-accredited preschool. The school has an excellent reputation, great parent involvment, long-term teachers, beautiful campus. When I interviewed and observed, the admissions counselor told me that the kids were allowed 1 movie during Friday afterschool care. I'm not totally opposed to TV, so I didn't think this was a big deal.

I went back to work, so I can't pick DS up until 4:30-5:00. School officially ends at 3:00. After 3:00 is considered "extended care." Right now is considered Summer School, so there is more flexibility than during the school year.

The first week, the kids were watching Disney movies twice when I picked DS up. Mind you, this was the week of July 4, so it was a 4 day week to begin with. 50% of the afternoons were spent watching Lion King and Stuart Little. I didn't make a stink, because I figured that the holiday week was different.

The next week, on Mon and Tues, DS was again parked in front of the TV. I decided to say something at that point, so I asked the admissions counselor if this was a regular occurrence during the summer only, or if this was to be expected during the year. She said that TV was a once-a-week treat on Fridays. She said she would address it with the staff. Next few days, the kids were playing. TV came back on Friday. No biggie.

My issue now is the quality of the shows and whether they are age appropriate. When I picked DS up during the Lion King, it was the scene when Scar kills Simba's father. I don't want to explain that to my son at 3! Last Friday, it was Aladdin. DS was jumping around with his fork at dinnertime and telling me it was a sword. Then he was a "monkey with a sword", making a clear reference to Aladdin. I don't let him watch violence and he's being exposed to it at school.

What would be your next steps? I'm thinking of proposing to buy some Scholastic books on video, which are the sort of stuff DS watches at home. I also thought about asking for a list of movies to be shown, so I can leave work early on those days if the content sucks. Any other thoughts?
#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 08:59 PM

Yikes -- I wouldn't like that either.

I think you are handling it nicely though. Definitely get a list and if you're able to offer to buy some more appropriate viewing material.

I agree that Lion King and Aladdin are too much for a 3 year old. I know lots of media-centric families may view them as ok... but I would not want my 3 year old getting ideas about sword wielding monkeys, etc either. :

Keep us posted -- would be interested to see how the school responds to your concerns. Good luck, I think you are doing the right thing!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#3 of 8 Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Oooh, I would not be happy! I think you're going about it in a really positive, proactive way by trying to find better videos.

Can you find any articles online about Montessori v. television? I'm so surprised that they're doing that--I thought the whole point was to get the kids to use their own imaginations, rather than having fantasy stuff spoon-fed to them by television.

And for the record, I would NOT be down with my kids watching Disney at that age. It may be okay for other households, but not for mine.
#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 PM

I completely agree - I have been having real issues with how much tv to let our son watch, in addition to content. I'd be very concerned if I had to address it at school as well! (we are a tv-free home)
#5 of 8 Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 AM

There is a Montessori magazine called Tomorrow's Child. I'm sorry I can't remember which month it was (I think April or May), but on the cover of the magazine was a picture of Mickey Mouse with a slash through him (you know, the kind of slash that connotates a person is against something- it has a circle around it also). Anyway, the article inside the magazine that corresponded with the cover was about Disney movies and Montessori. Especially for the child 6 years old and under, parents and educators alike need to be very careful about fantasy movies. Children this age have a difficult time distinguishing between fantasy and reality. The article went into much greater detail.

In my opinion, Disney movies in particular seem very violent. Mufasa's death in the Lion King, the serpent in Aladdin, the evil Malificent in Sleeping Beauty (she turns into a dragon to kill the prince)... I could go on and on. I personally believe that very young children at the very least do not benefit from watching these things- and sometimes they can get very scared and confused about the safety of the world around them.

Just my two cents...
#6 of 8 Old 07-28-2007, 03:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaandKate'sMom View Post
There is a Montessori magazine called Tomorrow's Child. I'm sorry I can't remember which month it was (I think April or May), but on the cover of the magazine was a picture of Mickey Mouse with a slash through him (you know, the kind of slash that connotates a person is against something- it has a circle around it also). Anyway, the article inside the magazine that corresponded with the cover was about Disney movies and Montessori. Especially for the child 6 years old and under, parents and educators alike need to be very careful about fantasy movies. Children this age have a difficult time distinguishing between fantasy and reality. The article went into much greater detail.

In my opinion, Disney movies in particular seem very violent. Mufasa's death in the Lion King, the serpent in Aladdin, the evil Malificent in Sleeping Beauty (she turns into a dragon to kill the prince)... I could go on and on. I personally believe that very young children at the very least do not benefit from watching these things- and sometimes they can get very scared and confused about the safety of the world around them.

Just my two cents...
ITA with this. DH is soooo into movies and we took DD to the video store to rent her first movie... We spent an hour saying, "what about this movie?" and the other person saying "that movie has this one scene where...."

DD is just going to have to wait to see movies. I'm sorry to say this because DH really wants to share the occasional movie with her (she is tv free) but I can't allow the violence (DH agrees).
#7 of 8 Old 08-09-2007, 02:36 PM

Oh no... I wouldn't like that at all. And it seems strange to me. Our school actively encourages parents to go no or at least limited tv. That's weird that they are using it AT the school.

Have you spoken to the director of the school? I think I would bring it up in a private conference. "I'm concerned about the tv use in the extended daycare. Can you tell me more about your tv policy?" And then go from there. If they do it regularly, and most people are okay with that, I'm not sure what you could do.

How about the other parents? If you get some others to support your position, you might be able to sway the policy.

But you should definitely speak up. I think sometimes parents just assume the teachers know best and are afraid to assert their opinions. There may be others who feel the same as you, but are wishing for someone else to approach the director. Might as well be you.
#8 of 8 Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

This week was the first week of school. I had a talk with the teacher during Back to School Night about all TV in the classroom. She was totally receptive and seemed kind of surprised about all of the TV watching after school. During the school year, the classroom teachers and an assistant do the after school care. During the summer, it was just assistants. The teacher leaves at 3 during the summer.

The lead teacher mentioned that she only used the TV 2-3 times a year to show nature videos to supplement science lessons. YAY!!! She gets my objections to Disney's "Mom is dead and Dad is incompetent, so the kid gets lost and has to find his way home" plotlines. I didn't even have to explain!!!

Afterschool care is more of the day's "work" and extra art projects.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page