Slippers or inside shoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had our parent meeting last night. It was great! I am a new Montessori mommy. My DS is 3yo and attending five days. They asked that children have slippers or inside shoes that they leave at school. They do a lot of work on mats on the floor and want to keep outside shoes away from the work areas.

We don't actually own too many shoes, LOL. We do have a pair of slippers that are those novelty/stuffed animal type. They are brown moose. The reason I'm hesitant is that they have a big moose head on the front and I wonder if that would get in the way? (Well, it's not a huge moose head, but hopefully, you know what I mean.)

They have to be easy for him to put on himself, of course.

What do your children use at school? I was thinking of getting him a pair of Robeez knock-offs perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 01:43 PM

I would get some easy on and off slippers or soft shoes. I think the biggest thing is to make sure your DS can put them on himself and that they are comfortable for him to work in.

I wouldn't send him with the moose slippers because like you said they can get in the way and possibly be a distraction to your son and the other children.

I know this is a little different but when I worked with toddlers we wouldn't allow big character slippers (like bright red ones with elmo and his big eyes ) because the little ones tripped over them and bumped into shelves and such and they just weren't "Montessori".

anyhow I hope you love his new school, so exciting for you and your son!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Katie, I was thinking the same thing about the moose, but they are just the only "inside" shoes that we have. I wish I would have thought of this sooner as school starts on Wednesday! I guess I will have to go out this weekend and look.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Robeez knock-offs should work just fine. I agree with the PP about the distraction of the moose head.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Ds's school also has the kids wear inside shoes. I just went out yesterday and got a pair of knockoff Crocs for him. They were only $7.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM

Oh, last year his inside shoes were just an old pair of sneakers. I washed them really well and they worked out fine.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 PM

They told us specifically no heads on the shoes b/c the kids wouldn't be able to sit criss cross applesauce with them.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 PM

We use a pair of lovely wool slippers or alternatively, Crocs with a pair of socks.

I totally agree about the moose being a distraction not to mention that those novelty slippers aren't usually designed for long wearing so probably not the most comfortable thing for long periods.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Ds's school also has the kids wear inside shoes. I just went out yesterday and got a pair of knockoff Crocs for him. They were only $7.
Ditto that. DS thinks they're cool. Our school has the no big puffy slippers policy, too, just for ease of movement and sitting cross-legged on the floor.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 AM

My son's school has them wear slippers, that go all the way around the ankle and no big fuzzy head on them.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I asked. I knew they "felt" wrong, but it's nice to have validation. It's hard being a new school mommy sometimes! I bought him a pair of Robeez with a pirate on them. He picked them out, so hopefully that will make him excited about wearing them!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM

They have Robeez that big? I didn't think they made them in sizes for school age kids.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM

I've seen Robeez up to size 4 or 5, I think.

I just remembered the name of the slippers we have...Padders. It is a shame that they don't make them anymore. We had them left over from DS. If you can find them on ebay, they are perfect I think... cotton, with loose elastic and easy to put on.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Supervee - I'll make a note of the slippers.

The Robeez go up to size 3-4, I think. I bought the 2-3 size which is supposed to be for shoe size 8.5-10 or something like that. Size 3-4 is for shoe size 10.5 to 11.5.

I'm going to the Common Ground Fair in a few weeks (great organic and natural living fair in Maine). Might have to look for another pair of inside shoes/slippers while I am there. We need them for home too! We used to live in GA where we really didn't need inside shoes (just went barefoot), but we just moved to ME, and I think we'll need something this winter!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM

My girls really like their bavarian wool clogs for indoor use. Warm and easy on/off.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Snowmom11 - those sound cool. I'm picturing some wool clogs that I have, but not sure I have the right picture in my head for kids. Do you have any brand names or links to let me know what you are talking about? I'm such a newbie will all of this winter weather with children thing! I grew up up north, but I've never lived up north with kids, so I know I will be learning a lot this winter!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM

Hmmm..... this is all very interesting to me. My dd1 came home from school today talking about needing inside shoes. This is her 3rd yr. of primary and I guess the inside shoes are something new. Is this common in primary communities?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I ordered some Robeez from Amazon (go Prime shipping) and they actually came in one day, not two. He's already tried them on, and loves them! They are pirates, and he was holding one hand over his eye to pretend like it was an eye patch. So cute! So, we'll practice this weekend making sure he can put them on/off by himself before school starts on Wednesday! Here's my cutie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/DSCF0146.jpg

I may have to invest in something warmer when winter comes around, but these are good for now.

Ideesmom: I'm new to Montessori, so have no idea if this is common or not. But, the teacher explained that they do inside shoes because they do so much of their work on mats on the floor and they are trying to keep things clean. We are also in Maine where there is lots of snow/mud in the winter and spring, so I'm sure that is part of things.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasquirrel View Post
Thanks for all the advice ladies. I ordered some Robeez from Amazon (go Prime shipping) and they actually came in one day, not two. He's already tried them on, and loves them! They are pirates, and he was holding one hand over his eye to pretend like it was an eye patch. So cute! So, we'll practice this weekend making sure he can put them on/off by himself before school starts on Wednesday! Here's my cutie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/DSCF0146.jpg
Awww, that is cute. He sure looks thrilled with them!

Let us know how they work out, will you? I was thinking about getting a pair for my daughter but I wasn't sure how comfy they'd be without socks, though she had a few pairs as a baby.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:49 PM

He's adorable!

My son just started Montessori as well, and I bought him Robeez knock-offs at www.joshoes.com They seem to be working well so far, and he's had no problems wearing them without socks. One of the things I liked about the joshoes.com site is that I could customize, like choosing loose elastic.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:28 PM

Our M school doesn't allow character slippers and I personally don't like them anyways. I don't think they are safe for running, get in the way etc...
I just got ds a pair of nice fleece slippers w soft, flexible but very sturdy rubber sole at target for $7.99
Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 PM

My 2 oldest go to Montessori and they all wear crocs as inside shoes
The teachers say they are so much easier to clean up in case of spills/accidents
Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 AM

Our Montessori doesn't require inside shoes, but ds has cute Nowali slippers that he loves. I think Hannah Anderson sells a version, too.

http://www.nowali.com/catalog/category.cfm?SubID=20
Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 AM

I also sent crocs as his inside shoes. I figured they were practically indesctructible, and could be worn with or without socks (plus easy on/off). He LOVES them.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideesmom View Post
Hmmm..... this is all very interesting to me. My dd1 came home from school today talking about needing inside shoes. This is her 3rd yr. of primary and I guess the inside shoes are something new. Is this common in primary communities?
Not that I have much experience, but I do have a friend who is a montessori teacher and her kids wear inside shoes two, at both places she has taught at. So I am assuming this is the "norm".
Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJE View Post
Check it out for yourself... http://www.Padders.com. Looks like them and a new brand.
I think I saw that site before and they had limited inventory; looks like more have been added. I noticed the Padders have leather bottoms now. Ours were all-cotton, kind of like what is called Trampers but no dots, and that's what I liked about them. The trend is leather, I guess.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Since this thread has been resurrected, thought I would update. The Robeez didn't work out so well. My DS found them difficult to put on by himself. So, I just bought him a pair of crocs and those are working out well. (Except for the fact that they are navy blue and about 5 other kids have the EXACT same ones.) It's getting cold now though, so I'm planning on buying him a pair of Bean fleece slippers for winter or a pair of Acorns (if I can find a good sale on them).

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...at=501417-sub2

User Tag List