Males in Montessori? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my DH is a certified teacher, but has found that his gentle/respectful way of dealing with children is not always appreciated or supported in normal ISDs or even "progressive" private schools.
He recently took a position with a K-6 Montessori school and is going thru training.
Do any of you have any male "directors" in your schools? In this one he is the only one they have ever had and they seem excited...

Any advice for him?

Thanks!
~Steph
#2 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Our school was founded 25 years ago by a man. He is the director and the primary classroom teacher. My older son had a male kindergartern teacher in public school. I think they were/are great role models for our boys.
#3 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Hi Steph,

I think your hubby sounds wonderful! I don't know if I have any advice, but I know of more than one male teacher in the Phoenix area with a respectful style. It's truly a gift to a community. Best of luck to him!
#4 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM

dd1's favorite Montessori teacher was her male upper el teacher (ages 9 through 12), she got such a kick out of having the male perspective as a guide! I remember that his classroom was a little louder, but a little livelier too, than her lower el classroom, that he didn't seem to hold on to past days misbehaviors as long as some of her previous teachers, that he yelled a couple of times but the kids weren't devestated. They also got to go camping like 3 times a year! And they always would go sledding in the neighborhood in the winter when the kids were getting stir crazy, and he introduced her during the times he would read-aloud to the class to more "male" books like Where the Red Fern Grows, and Hatchet.
#5 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 PM

My DD started out in Montessori School (we have since switched schools) but she had a male teacher for K3-K5. He must have been 60 or older when she started -- he looked a lot like Santa Claus!
#6 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...

My DH is taking one of the 2 upper el classes and I am sure he is going to love it... It is exciting to see your partner do what they love...
#7 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 PM

Yes! Our Director is male and he is also the upper elementary teacher. He is awesome!!
#8 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 PM

I had 2 male Montessori teachers- both in Upper El. In fact, one of them is now the Admission Director at DDs Montessori school and the other actually opened the school many years ago. Small world...

I think it is great the children can have such wonderful role models and see that both men and women are loving and kind. Women shouldn't be the only one seen as capable of nurturing.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#9 of 17 Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 AM

DD's class has two teachers - one male and one female, but the director is female. He's great, but is the only male teacher in DD's school. I'm really hoping they will continue teaching as a unit for the next few years so DS can have him too. But the school director told me that every parent of a boy wants their child to be in his class!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#10 of 17 Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM

There is one male teacher at our M school. He is an assistant in the toddler house (and the chef). I have never seen a man with as much patience.

I firmly believe that there are not enough male teachers in any of the local schools and am grateful that our M school has at least one.

Good luck to your hubby.
#11 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude04040106 View Post
There is one male teacher at our M school.
I firmly believe that there are not enough male teachers in any of the local schools and am grateful that our M school has at least one.
I agree. If there's any criticism I have about our Mont school is that there aren't enough males either teaching or in the administration. I wish your DH the best of luck!
#12 of 17 Old 10-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our Montessori school got a male teacher for one of the Childrens Houses this year. All the kids including mine flock to him.
#13 of 17 Old 10-23-2007, 12:58 AM

Our school's Elementary Guide is a man, and I've never once heard anyone say anything negative about him! In fact, learning that he was the Elem. teacher was what clinched our decision to enroll our dd last year, because I already knew and liked him
Our Elementary class also has a SAHD that comes in every Wed. for lunch-cooking day, and the kids all say that Mark is an EXCELLENT cooking teacher. Very patient.
#14 of 17 Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 PM

DD's lower elementary (6-9) teacher is male and she really likes him. He also has a male assistant who floats between classrooms.

In my 0-3 training there was only one male who also happened to be 3-6 trained. The school I worked at had one male director and I had a male assistant who was awesome.

It's uncommon IME but all the M teachers I've known who were male were very gentle and wonderful guides.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#15 of 17 Old 10-23-2007, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The director og my dd's Mntessori school is male and so is her 6-8 year old teacher. They both totally rock!
#16 of 17 Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM

This is probably a question posted  a very long time. I'm a Montessori teacher and I'm a male! Ha, I think the kids love the mix. Hope there will be more men in childcare. How's your DH doing in Montessori?

#17 of 17 Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM

I am also a male. At least last time I checked. Hope it is still true. :D

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page