Gift ideas for Montessori TEACHER? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-24-2007, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's that time of the year... any ideas of gifts (individual or group class gifts) for your child's Montessori teachers?

I am stumped!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#2 of 21 Old 11-24-2007, 02:26 PM

My dd is in a democratic school, not Montessori, but anyway...I'm making pretty bags full of cinnamon sticks, star anise, whole cloves, and orange peels with a tag with instructions on simmering it on the back of the stove to fill your home with wonderful fragrance.
#3 of 21 Old 11-24-2007, 04:40 PM

so I usually try and give them a nice bottle of something sort of local and organic, and a good book OR like a $20 amazon gift certificate so they get something they will read themselves (because our tuition is so freaking high I don't think they should use their holiday gifts to supplement the school materials!!)

We do give something for the classroom at dd's birthday, and at graduation we are giving an ipod and a removable harddrive for the school computer with all the world, folk, classical, nature, and children's music that we have checked out as the class "library family" so that the directress will have about 400 cds available to rotate onto the classroom ipod and not have to spend as much time requesting them each year from the library.
#4 of 21 Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually buy something from Bath and Body Works but I think I'm going to get Borders gift cards this year.
#5 of 21 Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 PM

I found some very cool hand-crafted largeish refrigerator magnets made from illustrations in children's books.
#6 of 21 Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Last year I made handmade scarves I never saw them wear - so I guess it didn't go over very big. So this year its gift cards and I'm going to donate to heifer international as well.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#7 of 21 Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 PM

Last year I picked out nice books for the classroom. This year we are going to have the teachers make a "classroom wishlist" from Montessori services so we can buy them things for their classrooms. Are school is small and budgets are tight so I think they will appriciate the chance to pick out new baskets, trays, etc. As a teacher, I spend soooo much money on my classroom, I'd like gift cards that I could spend on my classroom.
#8 of 21 Old 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM

We always give a donation to Oxfam or World Vision (goes with the ethos of the school too ;-)) and then make something. This year it is chutney and preserves. In the summer we made gardening baskets.

I think book gift cards and also massage cards go down well too.
#9 of 21 Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM

I made soup mixes last year for our teachers and I'm going to do it again this year. They went over well. It's a 4 bean soup layered in a mason jar. I re-designed the recipe (originally found on the web) to be crock-pot friendly. So the teacher can pop it in the crock pot in the morning and have homemade soup when she gets home! I might pair it with one of those Beer Bread mixes from Tastefully Simple.
#10 of 21 Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM

The best gift I've gotten as a teacher was bookstore gift cards. And these didn't have to be a big amount, I think I got one for $5 once.
#11 of 21 Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM

I am making a scrapbook that has a picture of each child for our teacher, this is my son's last year in Montessori and I wanted to make a meaningful gift
For the other teachers I will do gift baskets from Harry & David
#12 of 21 Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM

I am a Montessori teacher, and I agree that gift cards are the best! It's nice to be able to go to the bookstore and choose something new for yourself or your family ~ We don't get paid much so this is really a rare treat for me!

I also enjoy homemade yummies, or if a parent knows my tastes well enough a neat scarf, bag, etc may also be nice.

The parents do a fundraiser around Thanksgiving with Montessori Services which usually generates enough for us to purchase a few classroom materials.

Hope that is helpful!
~* Laura
#13 of 21 Old 12-12-2007, 01:01 AM

Besides our usual gift of wine plus bookstore giftcard, this year we "bought" a goat through a charity that allows you to send money to get an animal for a family in a 3rd world country to raise and hopefully improve their lives from.
#14 of 21 Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 PM

I'm giving gift cards. The thing about bath products and stuff like that is that it's hit or miss with the scents.
#15 of 21 Old 12-14-2007, 03:25 PM

I plan on giving a gift card to dd's teacher.

Do you spend the same amount on the assistant?
#16 of 21 Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2Bmommy View Post
I plan on giving a gift card to dd's teacher.

Do you spend the same amount on the assistant?
I gave the teacher $30 and $25 for the assistants. I would have done $20 for the assistants, but I already had a $25 gift card that I was re-gifting (shhh!), so I bought another $25 card for the other assistant.

I asked them where they would like the cards to be from. The lead teacher said B&N, the assistants got restaurants. His former teacher got a card from Bebe, since she's a total fashionista!!

I gave them each of them chocolate-scented bath stuff and the gift cards.
#17 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Ds just made one of those baking mixes that you layer in a jar for his teacher. It is brownie mix with peanut butter chips. I know his teacher will eat it because I saw him eating a chocolate doughnut at the parents Meet n' Greet!I like the idea because as a teacher myself I get too many cookies on the last day of school, but with this he can make it later. Ds had a blast making it because he got to measure the ingredients and use a funnel to put them in the jar and he picked out fabric to decorate the jar. He was very proud of his present.
#18 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM

I've got FOUR teachers to buy for, so I had to be a little bit conservative. I found $10 3-piece tea mugs (w/infusion cup and lid) that are dragons and pandas (one each) for the two main teachers that are not dd's main teacher. I also got them some cool teas, one of whcih each should find delicious, if they don't all make a hit lol!

There is one assistant teacher, who is not trained in Montessori but does have 4 of her own 5 kids in the school. She's wonderful, and I like her very much, but she is more of a gofer for the teachers (by necessity!) than a teacher. I got her a $10 gift cert. to a local bookstore near where she lives.

I found this very cool 2007 almanac, which I think her main teacher will dig, and it's kind of expensive (tho cheaper on Amazon than our local bookstore lol!) so I think he'd never buy one for himself. I will add home made soups in a jar and call it DONE. End of the year gifts are generally a bit weightier, and I like to do the gc's then, so that they can get new stuff for the coming year, kind of thing.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#19 of 21 Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Hey I just picked up 4 copies of David Sedaris' "Holidays on Ice" for around $7 each I am giving to my research assistants, but next year it is what I am giving dd2's teachers....
#20 of 21 Old 12-17-2007, 06:05 PM

when i asked ds' lead teacher she suggested things for the classroom. ds also has another teacher and 2 assistants plus i have a dd in elementary so this could get really expensive! i enjoyed reading the responses as i'm stumped as well. i did get one thing the teacher requested and may do $10 gift cards to bookstores. i also like to give an end of the year gift as well. last year i pooled resources for dd's elem. teacher and we got her a gift basket with some organic lotions and organic chocolate and then gift cards for a local nursery (she likes gardening), her fave restaurant and a massage. contacting the other parents is time consuming but i think giving a thoughtful group gift like that is a great idea. also, we donated like 8 books to dd's classroom and she's making the teacher a homemade gift.

beth
#21 of 21 Old 12-18-2007, 11:17 AM

Emma has 3 teachers in her class. Next year John will be there in a different class, so that will be 6 teachers. So we can't go wild, but we certainly like to show our appreciation.

Does your school have a logo? You could get something made with that. I coordinate our school's Cafe Press shop and got them these coffee mugs with our beautiful school logo.
http://www.cafepress.com/lmsmontessori
I also really like the tote bags and might do that next year.
Anyway, I am giving them the mugs along with biscotti we made.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page