Mothering Forum banner

Looked at a Montessori elementary program for dd2...

856 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ilaria 
#1 ·
The cool thing was they changed both elementary classrooms to ages 6 to 12; the uncool thing was they talked about mandatory HOMEWORK for all elementary age kid!!!!

Now the homework was like read for 30 minutes, do something meaningful (speliing words, help with dinner , rake leaves, practice an instrument) for 45 minutes.

But hey, isn't homework uncool in Montessori?? I submitted my $50 application fee, as at least they didn't say workbook or worksheet homework, but still, YUK!

I hate homework!

#2 ·
I agree to an extent. In my ds's school he has 20 mins reading a night (which he would do anyway, so he doesn't call this homework) and spellings work. Sometimes he brings work home to finish that wasn't completed in school and as the responsiblity is on them planning their days and completing their work cycles and projects etc, I think this fits into the philosophy quite well.

In my view, I am happy with this, it is far less than his peers in elementary school do and his school also accounts for the fact that we may do activities with the chidlren after school ourselves, so don't pile stuff up. He still has plenty of time to play and the homework is sent at the beginning of the week so that he can take it upon himself to do it when he wants to rather than he HAS to do x amount per night, as long as it is completed before handing in on Friday.

At six I think many children like to extend their "work" from school at home and I know that my son loves to research stuff, write books and stories, make science/geography or history related crafts etc that aren't projects from school, so I don't think that well thought out homework is necessarily uncool if they are in that plane right now. I think it is a good observation of where the child is at and what they need. It sounds like your school has great ideas and is incorporating "real life" into homework time.

Anyway, just my fourpenneth!!

#3 ·
My Montessori kid was counting the days until she got to elementary because she couldn't wait to get her daily homework.
My kids loves the work she does at school and having homework is just more time for her to do what she loves. She's in 5th grade now and her homework generally is to spend about 45 minutes/night working on a long-term project or on self-directed exploration of a new concept. She rarely has classroom type stuff as homework.

I don't think that homework is antithetical to the Montessori philosophy. If it is a concern, I would ask the teachers what their goals are for homework. At my daughter's school, homework is intended to reinforce good time-management and independent study skills. It also reminds kids that while the directors/directresses are there to provide support and guidance, it is the student who is ultimately responsible for his or her education.

To be honest, I'm glad my kid is learning this stuff now rather than later because she is developing skills and habits that will serve her throughout her life. I teach university classes and you wouldn't believe the number of students who just cannot manage their time outside the lecture hall or who freeze when presented with a large project because they have no idea how to proceed. These kids are really smart but they lack self-discipline and practical study skills.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by arwenevenstar View Post
I agree to an extent. In my ds's school he has 20 mins reading a night (which he would do anyway, so he doesn't call this homework) and spellings work. Sometimes he brings work home to finish that wasn't completed in school and as the responsiblity is on them planning their days and completing their work cycles and projects etc, I think this fits into the philosophy quite well.

In my view, I am happy with this, it is far less than his peers in elementary school do and his school also accounts for the fact that we may do activities with the chidlren after school ourselves, so don't pile stuff up. He still has plenty of time to play and the homework is sent at the beginning of the week so that he can take it upon himself to do it when he wants to rather than he HAS to do x amount per night, as long as it is completed before handing in on Friday.

At six I think many children like to extend their "work" from school at home and I know that my son loves to research stuff, write books and stories, make science/geography or history related crafts etc that aren't projects from school, so I don't think that well thought out homework is necessarily uncool if they are in that plane right now. I think it is a good observation of where the child is at and what they need. It sounds like your school has great ideas and is incorporating "real life" into homework time.

Anyway, just my fourpenneth!!

Sounds like our school. There is some HW, finishing up projects and reading. Sometimes ds says his HW is to practice writing 3's or help me measure liquids at dinner (he's 4).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.