Mothering Forum banner

Montessori... a good "fit"?

609 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GuildJenn 
#1 ·
Do you think that the Montessori approach is a good fit for all children? Do you think children of a certain temperament do better or worse? Are traditional Montessori programs hesitant to accept children who have not been educated within that philosophy?

#2 ·
I don't believe in ANY one-size-fits-all solution to education. I'm having trouble coming up with any generic things that wouldn't mesh well off the top of my head with any Montessori but I'm pretty sure they exist.

In my particular Montessori, I think a child who was extremely extrinsicly motivated would not do well. They put a high emphasis on intrinsic motivation - "the reward you get for a job well done, is a job well done" sort of thing - and my son is probably at the outer edge of being okay with it. He is a praise junky and has been since he could focus on people's smiles, but because he had us as parents he has been marginally ok with the school's approach... and his teacher has also been willing to adapt to his style a bit.

I do have to say though that I think one of Montessori's strengths is that they do provide a lot of ways to learn, so that a tactile learner has things to do as well as a visual learner, and so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.