My 3 yo has HFA. He is THRIVING in the M environment. It totally reinforces what we are trying to accomplish. Dr. Montessori started her work on SN kids, so this is a good fit for our kids.
1) It is largely visual, so he gets the cues he needs.
2) They teach grace and courtesy, so he gets help in social settings.
3) His OT borrows materials for therapy, since M school materials are great for building up coordination.
4) He gets to move at his own pace. He isn't rushed along like a traditional school.
5) It allows him to focus on his strengths, while being gently guided in his weak areas
6) Teachers are trained in dealing with all sorts of kids. Other kids in the school have Down's and other developmental issues
7) It teaches him conflict resolution. He can't throw things or hit when he is frustrated. He has to verbalize what is wrong.
8) Lots of peer models from different age groups. He is in a 3-6 classroom, so the older kids are excellent models.
Can you tell I'm in love with his school and teachers?
He started at a non-M school with less structure and he floundered. He regressed in language and academics. M school was a perfect fit after a couple of weeks.