Ideas needed re: afterschool program - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, DD2(Fi) starts lower el at a New Montessori School in August, which has preschool thru age 14. We did not apply to this school for Casa as they had no All Day Community type program, not even a drop in program. So, they have NO afterschool programming, and both myself and DH work full time outside the home, far away from New School.

Options I have considered:
1. Try to convince New School to develop an afterschool program
2. Try to convince Old School to let Fi participate in All Day Community from 3:15 to 6 pm
3. Try to convince Community Recreation Center to develop afterschool program
4. Find high school or college student who drives to pick up Fi and do whatever until 6pm; estimated cost $90 per week at $7 per hour.

What would you do? Any alternative suggestions or ideas? I have like 6 weeks to come up with something. Any ideas greatly appreciated, as long as no suggestions to quit my job, not feasible or doable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkm1968 View Post
So, DD2(Fi) starts lower el at a New Montessori School in August, which has preschool thru age 14. We did not apply to this school for Casa as they had no All Day Community type program, not even a drop in program. So, they have NO afterschool programming, and both myself and DH work full time outside the home, far away from New School.

Options I have considered:
1. Try to convince New School to develop an afterschool program
2. Try to convince Old School to let Fi participate in All Day Community from 3:15 to 6 pm
3. Try to convince Community Recreation Center to develop afterschool program
4. Find high school or college student who drives to pick up Fi and do whatever until 6pm; estimated cost $90 per week at $7 per hour.

What would you do? Any alternative suggestions or ideas? I have like 6 weeks to come up with something. Any ideas greatly appreciated, as long as no suggestions to quit my job, not feasible or doable.
daycare homes and childcare centers usually have afterschool slots.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#3 of 6 Old 07-04-2008, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do you know any other fams at this school? Maybe you can ask the office manager or director of new school if there is a mom who does after school daycare...? That would love to include your DC?
Or maybe a friend from old school would be willing to pick up and care for your dc?
Good Luck!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#4 of 6 Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought of that! Will call New School on Monday (altho with my luck they won't staff the office till like 3 days before school starts haha).
#5 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
lol Most schools I've ever been involved with, lots, have soooo much to do they are there preparing and keeping up w/mail and phone msgs at least half time thru the summer. Think good thoughts and at least leave a msg if you don't get someone directly so they know you're looking

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#6 of 6 Old 07-06-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ha ha, you know what I'm talking about then!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page