What training to Montessori assts have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The reason I ask is this:

I think it would really benefit DD to be in a Montessori environment for a few mornings a week. She's a month shy of 2 1/2 and I can see from her behavior that she is really craving more social interaction, structure, and opportunities for independence. I've been trying to create a Waldorf environment at home, but I'm not very good at it and I think she needs more.

Anyway, there is no way we could afford sending her to a Montessori school, even just 2-3 days a week. I also happen to need a job pretty desperately.

Do the assistants in Montessori schools have degrees and intense training? Or are they more like students of education who are just starting out? I have a lot of early childhood experience, worked in a preschool, etc., plus independent interest in the field, especially for methods like Montessori. I have some college hours, but it was at a community school with a core curriculum, so I didn't take any education courses even though that would have eventually become my major. I can't afford to go back to college right now, so unfortunately I can't say that I'm a current student on my resume.

Anyway I was thinking that maybe being a Montessori assistant would be a good deal for us. My daughter would get what she needs and I would have a job that allows me to explore my own interest. Do you think this is feasible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM

It's going to vary by school, but probably very feasible

-Angela
Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 PM

I think it varies by school, but at ours you need 12 ECE units and need to be enrolled in Montessori teacher's training to be an asst. You do not need the training to be a sub, though.

A bit of this, a bit of that... a mish-mash quilt of a mama to Oliver (2/3/05) and Lilah (2/5/07) and Silas (9/8/09) :
Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 AM

In our school their is one assistant who is getting her Montessori credential and two who have the standard preschool credentials, like 12 (8? I'm not sure) units of early childhood education. Our primary class is state licensed child care so it follows those guide lines.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM

At our school, we train all the assistants on site.

You sound like the perfect candidate although it's not the best time of year to be looking for a job since all the contracts are usually signed by now. But, you know, sometimes things change so it wouldn't hurt to start visiting schools where you may be interested in working and dropping off your resume.

That's how I got my first job as an assistant. I just called to find out what Montessori was and she scheduled an observation for me. She called me later that summer wondering if I would like to work as her assistant.

My sweetie and I have a lovely little lady 07/02 and 3 cats
Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 AM

It definitely depends on the school. My MIL is a teacher-trainer for AMI primary and she was also working on a training curriculum for assistants, but I am unsure if that ever worked out. She is also an examiner so that keeps her very busy!
I would suggest checking out the school and talking to the head directress about a position.
Kinda off topic, but this is the first year in SEVEN years that I will not have a child in Montessori Our family will miss it!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers. Looks like I'll just have to call the different locations.

I know there are two different Montessori accreditations, one is AMI and one is AMA or something, right? (Wait, I think that's American Medical Association... ) Is there a difference in how each trains their teachers and assistance? Would I have better luck with one over the other?

Also, how would I approach them? Call, drop off a resume, or schedule an observation and mention my desire to work there? It's hard to make appointments without bringing my two-year-old along, do you think they'd be hip to that? I interviewed at a daycare once and had to bring her along... she cried and screamed and when I interrupted the interview to fetch her from the room to comfort her, I could tell they didn't appreciate it. They never called back. : Then again, it was kind of a "typical" daycare center.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 AM

AMI or AMS.

Our school has AMS trained teachers and it's done by an accredited AMS teacher on site. The infant room is the only teachers with no AMS training, but the head infant teacher attended nursing college (that would make me feel more comfortable than AMS training ) and the other has 12 ECE credits.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 AM

The administrator of one Montessori I visited said she couldn't afford the tuition for her children so she cleaned the classrooms at night. She was fascinated by the materials and then went on to get her degree with AMI I believe. Anyway, it might be an option, or they might need someone for other tasks there until an assistant position opens up. Someone posted on here that they get money off their tuition for volunteer hours!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 AM

It depends entirely on the school and even more so on what they can get.

From what I understand, AMI schools generally don't want a trained person as an assistant. I might be wrong on that, though and I hope someone corrects me if I am.

AMS will vary.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:05 PM

I don't know what AMI schools generally want - couldn't speak for them! LOL But my AMI trained school often has trained assistants. My son's room last year had an AMI trained teacher, and the assistant was a trained (assume AMI, but could be AMS b/c I never asked) infant teacher.

Often the assistant will be someone who has some training, but just hasn't completed it yet, kwim?

User Tag List