Do you know if you can do AMA training if you don't have a bachelors degree? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone know?

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendentalMom View Post
anyone know?
I've never really heard of an AMA training course, so I tried googling it and came up with nothing. Do you have a web site or anything?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 PM

I know the co-director of our school was still somehow tied to a University as a teacher and she actually trained most of the teachers at our school and they are AMS certified (or whatever the term is). I think most of them do have BA's or BS degrees, but there may be a couple who have ECE credits and AMS training. Hmmm... Maybe try calling the association?

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 11-13-2008, 02:43 AM

Our school is a training site and I believe you can still become a teacher with an associate's degree but you have a different "degree".... let me see if i can find what I am talking about
Old 11-13-2008, 02:46 AM

Found it!

Quote:

the American Montessori Society issues a Montessori Certificate to teachers who have a Bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited US College or University. Associate Certificates for Infant-Toddler and Early Childhood candidates are issued to teachers who do not have the Bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited US college or University
Old 11-13-2008, 02:46 AM

Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathynmatt View Post
Found it!

Quote:

the American Montessori Society issues a Montessori Certificate to teachers who have a Bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited US College or University. Associate Certificates for Infant-Toddler and Early Childhood candidates are issued to teachers who do not have the Bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited US college or University
She asked about AMA.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

oh that's what I meant AMS - sorry.

So in other words, if you can do the 3-6 training without bachelors? Do you have to get your associates first or does the course issue you an associates degree? Thanks!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 PM

Not sure speficially for AMS but you could email or call the closest training site and ask (usually it's listed on their website along with enrollement info).

I'm trained in AMI (0-3) and did not have a college degree beforehand. Most of the other students in my class were taking it to get there master's; but there were a few like myself who were accepted with recommendations and a lengthy interview process.

I imagine there is a way to do it as long as you aren't doing 6-9 or 9-12 because at that point you'd likely need a teaching license to get a job afterwards.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendentalMom View Post
oh that's what I meant AMS - sorry.

So in other words, if you can do the 3-6 training without bachelors? Do you have to get your associates first or does the course issue you an associates degree? Thanks!
I can look into it for you. I have an associates degree and finishing my associates AMS 3-6 training. I am not sure if you do not have any degree.

User Tag List